Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

1 year old just started sucking thumb?!?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:23 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
My 15 mo just started sucking her thumb. She has never done it before and she has never used a pacifier (her choosing). I am wondering why she may have started sucking her thumb all of a sudden and what I should do about it...
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM

My sons did it because the daycare kids did it. It didn't last long. I didn't make any big deal about it.

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:48 PM

She could've seen someone else sucking theirs and mimicked the behavior. Is she going to daycare or staying with a sitter who keeps other kids?

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:58 PM

My youngest son started sucking his when he was 3! He only took a pacifier for about 2 months and turned from that when he was about 6 months old 2 1/2 years later bam, there is the thumb. He is 6.5 and we still have to remind him to keep his hands out of his mouth. Dont make it a huge deal or it becomes a power trip!

1CrazyCajun
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:15 PM

My son started that when he was getting his back teeth. It lasted a few months, then he stopped.

Maybe she's doing it because it's comforting? idk.

Mainstream Moms Attached Parenting/Crunchy not quite your style?Come join other like minded moms.

Kayjace0411
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I think it's a self soothing mechanism. I sucked my thumb until I was 5. My almost 2 year old has been doing it a lot. It use to be right before he took a nap or bedtime now it's all the time everywhere and he's taken up to carrying around a blanket like Linus from peanuts cartoons. If you really concerned if talk to your doctor about it
starbuckmom03
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM

My oldest started sucking his thumb the same time he weaned himself from breastfeeding, 18mos.  He never took a pacie.  He is 7 and still sucks his thumb but only when he has his blanket and thats only at bedtime.  I will be putting that away pretty soon. 

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:36 AM
did she hurt her finger recently...my best friends little sister got her thumb smashed in the door when she was 3 and started sucking it...it became a habit.
SissyAnn141
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Quoting ditsyjo:

did she hurt her finger recently...my best friends little sister got her thumb smashed in the door when she was 3 and started sucking it...it became a habit.

Also, Does all of her teeth look , okay ?

ChristineH1
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Thank you so much for your replies!! So I'm thinking she could be starting to self ween, or for comfort, or it also looks like she may be getting a couple more teeth in. Will keep an eye on it. Thank you all!
EsmeVincent
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM
I'm sure she's getting those nasty molars(those really hurt) maybe help her out with something frozen to help curve the pain
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)