Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm done with the Catholic Church

Posted by   + Show Post

I've been Catholic all of my life, though I've wandered from time to time in search of something that I fit into, but to no avail. I had such high hopes with this new Pope, and I was reading what he was saying, and it struck me, I really don't agree with the Church anymore. It's not my church, I'm not accepted. I was an unwed mother, I am divorced from my children's father, I use birth control and am on third marriage. I don't fit in a world where perfection is a must, where sex is merely the point of procreation. 

It's been a long journey for me, one that I've struggled with for a long time. I don't hate the church, or think that it is even bad. It's just not for me anymore.

So this weekend, my 18 year old daughter, has invited me to her church. I think I'll go, see if I'm accepted there and if I can accept the teachings there. I believe in God, always have and always will. I want that closeness and family feeling that your supposed to get from a church. She seems to have found it and I'd like to be a part of her beliefs and her love of God. 

I never forced religion on my kids. I was Catholic, but they were people who needed to find their own way. My son is a very devout Catholic at only 14. He strongly believes in the church and I will not begrudge him that. My daughter shed the church around the same age and more recently went in search of her own place. For a while she was practicing the Pagan religion, she also went through the questioning phase and claimed Atheism. She's still young and I think that all of that was a healthy way to examine herself. 

It feels good to finally let go. Not to feel dirty anymore, or as a pariah. I don't know why I'm posting this, perhaps just because I wanted to share. Perhaps because I needed to write it out. Whatever the reason, there it is. Have a wonderful day. 

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I am a non-practicing Catholic. Why? Because I don't agree with everything that all the Popes have done. Not to mention I attended private Catholic school K thru 8.

In the end it's good to question the religion that you've known all these years. I personally think everyone should even if it's only for a few minutes.

Good luck with your search to find the right spot.

Aslen
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Im Episcopalian op! We rock too. We believe in bc, love the gays, and are very liberal.

The services are almost exact, which is why my catholic friends call me catholic lite
sherry132
by Sherry on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM

That's my daughter's church, the one I'm going to this weekend. I've been to the Epixcopalian church before, in fact I was very comfortable there from the age of 14 to 18 when I met her father. He was Catholic, I'd been mostly raised Catholic, and decided to go back.

I like the church teachings, but I'll have to wait see about the people. In this area, there is some hesitation to newcomers. The stuff that she showed me about the church looks like it has a lot of activity. The Catholic church here really doesn't. My favorite thing about the E church is when I was a kid, they accepted people who had been divorced just like they were people. No one told the children anyone was going to hell for divorce. KWIM? So I'm very hopeful.

Quoting Aslen:

Im Episcopalian op! We rock too. We believe in bc, love the gays, and are very liberal.

The services are almost exact, which is why my catholic friends call me catholic lite

Imjustinsmommy
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Im sorry you felt that way. I  am not religious &  I dont  follow all those ways.. I respecta ll that do but for me I need to feel at home & accpeted for who I am. I hope you will find that. =)

CuriousArentYa
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I actually kind of envy you. I was raised catholic and went to private catholic school. As I have grown and obtained my own thoughts and beliefs I am finding that I don't really agree with much of the catholic religion. When we do go to church we go to my husbands baptist church. I actually think that I should just go ahead and break away from the catholic church, but it's hard, I have so much time invested in it and it does feel like it's a part of me. 

sherry132
by Sherry on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I completely understand. For years I felt that way. Then I was reading a story about a lady who was ordained a priest in defiance of the Catholic church. Then I read a story about the Pope and American nuns, and for whatever reason, it seemed God finally gave me the go ahead to leave,  it was like a voice of reason in my head. I just don't feel a part of it anymore, even though it is a part of me. 

Quoting CuriousArentYa:

I actually kind of envy you. I was raised catholic and went to private catholic school. As I have grown and obtained my own thoughts and beliefs I am finding that I don't really agree with much of the catholic religion. When we do go to church we go to my husbands baptist church. I actually think that I should just go ahead and break away from the catholic church, but it's hard, I have so much time invested in it and it does feel like it's a part of me. 

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I'm Lutheran...my Catholic friends like visiting my church because it's very similar, but without the pomp and circumstance of the Catholic Church. My dad was raised Catholic and ditched for Lutheran when he met my mom, lol...my mom's dad was also raised Catholic and was kicked out of Catholic school for constantly questioning the nuns, lmao! He converted to Lutheranism before my mom was born.

I have a lot of family and friends who are still Catholic and it's cool but sometimes I wonder why they stick it out with all the complaints they have, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emily123456
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM
I use to be catholic but I got prego when I was 14 and they kick me out so I never went back.
RandiBear
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Good luck!! The journey to finding your place of comfort can be long and tedious but it is well worth it. I have been looking for several years and finally found it. It has made a world of difference not just in my spiritual life, but in my marriage and my mothering. I am so much less irritable now because I found that inner sense of calm.

Mrsmayaguy
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I'm glad you are still searching instead of giving up on Christ all together!  I'm a Christian.  I love our Lord.  I believe in the holy trinity, the virgin birth, that Christ died for our sins, & arose on the 3rd day.  But what I don't get caught up in is the title.

catholic, baptist, Lutheran.  I'm Christian.  When we get to heaven they won't have assigned seating.  I teach my kids about a personal relationship with Christ. We happen to go to a Baptist Church BUT I was searching for a bile believing bible teaching pastor and I found him there.

i hope you find what you are looking for......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)