Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm done with the Catholic Church

Posted by   + Show Post

I've been Catholic all of my life, though I've wandered from time to time in search of something that I fit into, but to no avail. I had such high hopes with this new Pope, and I was reading what he was saying, and it struck me, I really don't agree with the Church anymore. It's not my church, I'm not accepted. I was an unwed mother, I am divorced from my children's father, I use birth control and am on third marriage. I don't fit in a world where perfection is a must, where sex is merely the point of procreation. 

It's been a long journey for me, one that I've struggled with for a long time. I don't hate the church, or think that it is even bad. It's just not for me anymore.

So this weekend, my 18 year old daughter, has invited me to her church. I think I'll go, see if I'm accepted there and if I can accept the teachings there. I believe in God, always have and always will. I want that closeness and family feeling that your supposed to get from a church. She seems to have found it and I'd like to be a part of her beliefs and her love of God. 

I never forced religion on my kids. I was Catholic, but they were people who needed to find their own way. My son is a very devout Catholic at only 14. He strongly believes in the church and I will not begrudge him that. My daughter shed the church around the same age and more recently went in search of her own place. For a while she was practicing the Pagan religion, she also went through the questioning phase and claimed Atheism. She's still young and I think that all of that was a healthy way to examine herself. 

It feels good to finally let go. Not to feel dirty anymore, or as a pariah. I don't know why I'm posting this, perhaps just because I wanted to share. Perhaps because I needed to write it out. Whatever the reason, there it is. Have a wonderful day. 

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Replies (21-30):
Lionpaw
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Quoting Mrsmayaguy:

I'm glad you are still searching instead of giving up on Christ all together!  I'm a Christian.  I love our Lord.  I believe in the holy trinity, the virgin birth, that Christ died for our sins, & arose on the 3rd day.  But what I don't get caught up in is the title.

catholic, baptist, Lutheran.  I'm Christian.  When we get to heaven they won't have assigned seating.  I teach my kids about a personal relationship with Christ. We happen to go to a Baptist Church BUT I was searching for a bile believing bible teaching pastor and I found him there.

i hope you find what you are looking for......

I love that idea... no assigned seating!!!

I was raised catholic, but cant seem to feel right there anymore. I support people making their own choices and dont see why anyone should judge them.  

I have been toying with the idea of going to church. But i just dont know which. I am not from this town, moved here with hubby. I just feel akward going without knowing anyone and having two girls  two an under. I have no idea if they would be welcomed.

kitty8199
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM
That's not the point of religion to follow the world though.
Catholicism is one of the oldest religions and the people who follow it do so because it isn't worldly.

She will find one she agrees with though.

Quoting mommyshere:

The Catholic Church really needs to get with the times or they're going to lose even more followers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by Sherry on May. 1, 2013 at 9:03 PM

The church has changed though. It wasn't that long ago the church taught that babies who were not baptized went to hell, then it changed to purgatory, and now they don't teach that at all. The church can change. Should change in a world where there are more people than resources, the church should change to allow birth control. Other things I still agree with, but I can't be forgiven for divorcing my first ex no matter what our problems are. 

Quoting kitty8199:

Catholicism is one of the oldest religions and the people who follow it do so because it isn't worldly.

Quoting mommyshere:

The Catholic Church really needs to get with the times or they're going to lose even more followers.

kitty8199
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
But if they're following scripture, scripture didn't change.
The Bible does say remarriage after divorce is adultery bc He doesn't agree with divorce.
God doesn't, not man. The Bible says it, so why should the church ignore it? People always complain about religion picking and choosing what to follow, but want religion to do it.

Quoting sherry132:

The church has changed though. It wasn't that long ago the church taught that babies who were not baptized went to hell, then it changed to purgatory, and now they don't teach that at all. The church can change. Should change in a world where there are more people than resources, the church should change to allow birth control. Other things I still agree with, but I can't be forgiven for divorcing my first ex no matter what our problems are. 

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting mommyshere:

sherry132
by Sherry on May. 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Oh I was only talking about BC. Not divorce. Divorce is something I believe God led me through. I'm not picking and choosing. I'm looking for a way to be close to God. Fundamentally I am not changing my beliefs, not sure I can at this point. I am looking for acceptance. I believe God has forgiven me for my divorce, but that's a really long conversation. 

Quoting kitty8199:

But if they're following scripture, scripture didn't change.
The Bible does say remarriage after divorce is adultery bc He doesn't agree with divorce.
God doesn't, not man. The Bible says it, so why should the church ignore it? People always complain about religion picking and choosing what to follow, but want religion to do it.

Quoting sherry132:

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting mommyshere:

Mrsmayaguy
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Lionpaw,  you gotta go to church.  The bible tells us we should go.  I don't really understand how people aren't comfy going to a new church.  It's no big deal.  Just walk in smile and sit.  I found my church through an awesome postcard.  It caught my attention.

maybe ask some friends/neighbors for a suggestion but I say just go.  It took me 3 months of diff churches to decide.

you wanna know something else I've come to believe or at least question.  The bible tells us in order to classify ourselves as Christian we have to believe the 4 points I earlier mentioned so....might there be homosexuals in heaven?  I believe there may.  One sin is no more worse than the other so...when I lied to my husband this morning just because I didn't wanna hear him fuss it's just as bad as robbery.  Even if my man is annoying.

go to church!  You've gotta step out on faith or ask God to lead you to where he wants you and your family to go. 

Quoting Lionpaw:

Quoting Mrsmayaguy:

I'm glad you are still searching instead of giving up on Christ all together!  I'm a Christian.  I love our Lord.  I believe in the holy trinity, the virgin birth, that Christ died for our sins, & arose on the 3rd day.  But what I don't get caught up in is the title.

catholic, baptist, Lutheran.  I'm Christian.  When we get to heaven they won't have assigned seating.  I teach my kids about a personal relationship with Christ. We happen to go to a Baptist Church BUT I was searching for a bile believing bible teaching pastor and I found him there.

i hope you find what you are looking for......

I love that idea... no assigned seating!!!

I was raised catholic, but cant seem to feel right there anymore. I support people making their own choices and dont see why anyone should judge them.  

I have been toying with the idea of going to church. But i just dont know which. I am not from this town, moved here with hubby. I just feel akward going without knowing anyone and having two girls  two an under. I have no idea if they would be welcomed.

kitty8199
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Oh I agree the BC thing is a bad interpretation. I don't think He intended on us to breed like rabbits, lol.
The Bible gives reason for divorce and some he does bless.
I understand acceptance. That's why you need a church that interprets the same way you do.

I don't agree with the mom who say churches need to change for the world.
There's plenty of churches. A church needs to stay how it is, and people need to find the one they like. It's out there

Quoting sherry132:Oh I was only talking about BC. Not divorce. Divorce is something I believe God led me through. I'm not picking and choosing. I'm looking for a way to be close to God. Fundamentally I am not changing my beliefs, not sure I can at this point. I am looking for acceptance. I believe God has forgiven me for my divorce, but that's a really long conversation. Quoting kitty8199:But if they're following scripture, scripture didn't change.

Quoting sherry132:The church has changed though. It wasn't that long ago the church taught that babies who were not baptized went to hell, then it changed to purgatory, and now they don't teach that at all. The church can change. Should change in a world where there are more people than resources, the church should change to allow birth control. Other things I still agree with, but I can't be forgiven for divorcing my first ex no matter what our problems are. Quoting kitty8199:That's not the point of religion to follow the world though.

Quoting mommyshere:

kitty8199
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
He says when two or more are gathered in His name, it's a church.
He doesn't specify you have to go to a building.
Actually this post is like church. We're talking about God

Quoting Mrsmayaguy:Lionpaw,  you gotta go to church.  The bible tells us we should go.  I don't really understand how people aren't comfy going to a new church.  It's no big deal.  Just walk in smile and sit.  I found my church through an awesome postcard.  It caught my attention.maybe ask some friends/neighbors for a suggestion but I say just go.  It took me 3 months of diff churches to decide.you wanna know something else I've come to believe or at least question.  The bible tells us in order to classify ourselves as Christian we have to believe the 4 points I earlier mentioned so....might there be homosexuals in heaven?  I believe there may.  One sin is no more worse than the other so...when I lied to my husband this morning just because I didn't wanna hear him fuss it's just as bad as robbery.  Even if my man is annoying.go to church!  You've gotta step out on faith or ask God to lead you to where he wants you and your family to go. 
Quoting Lionpaw:Quoting Mrsmayaguy:I'm glad you are still searching instead of giving up on Christ all together!  I'm a Christian.  I love our Lord.  I believe in the holy trinity, the virgin birth, that Christ died for our sins, & arose on the 3rd day.  But what I don't get caught up in is the title.catholic, baptist, Lutheran.  I'm Christian.  When we get to heaven they won't have assigned seating.  I teach my kids about a personal relationship with Christ. We happen to go to a Baptist Church BUT I was searching for a bile believing bible teaching pastor and I found him there.i hope you find what you are looking for......I love that idea... no assigned seating!!!I was raised catholic, but cant seem to feel right there anymore. I support people making their own choices and dont see why anyone should judge them.  I have been toying with the idea of going to church. But i just dont know which. I am not from this town, moved here with hubby. I just feel akward going without knowing anyone and having two girls  two an under. I have no idea if they would be welcomed.
Rlmama00
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

This is something that I have toyed with in my own mind too. There are so many wonderful aspects of the Catholic Church, but there are some very dark ideals that I do not agree with.  I may never leave the church, but I think I will explore my options over the next few years.

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I've grown up catholic, got away for a while but just felt like something was missing--coming back fixed that.  I feel best at my childhood church, I feel like myself, I feel full.  My husband doesn't come to church at all (barely got him there for our youngest's baptism) and we are considering divorce.  I don't feel like I will be judged or looked down upon.  I believe God understands our feelings--maybe there is another church out there for you and it doesn't matter if it is catholic or not.  All that matters is that you find one you feel your best in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN