Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm done with the Catholic Church

Posted by   + Show Post

I've been Catholic all of my life, though I've wandered from time to time in search of something that I fit into, but to no avail. I had such high hopes with this new Pope, and I was reading what he was saying, and it struck me, I really don't agree with the Church anymore. It's not my church, I'm not accepted. I was an unwed mother, I am divorced from my children's father, I use birth control and am on third marriage. I don't fit in a world where perfection is a must, where sex is merely the point of procreation. 

It's been a long journey for me, one that I've struggled with for a long time. I don't hate the church, or think that it is even bad. It's just not for me anymore.

So this weekend, my 18 year old daughter, has invited me to her church. I think I'll go, see if I'm accepted there and if I can accept the teachings there. I believe in God, always have and always will. I want that closeness and family feeling that your supposed to get from a church. She seems to have found it and I'd like to be a part of her beliefs and her love of God. 

I never forced religion on my kids. I was Catholic, but they were people who needed to find their own way. My son is a very devout Catholic at only 14. He strongly believes in the church and I will not begrudge him that. My daughter shed the church around the same age and more recently went in search of her own place. For a while she was practicing the Pagan religion, she also went through the questioning phase and claimed Atheism. She's still young and I think that all of that was a healthy way to examine herself. 

It feels good to finally let go. Not to feel dirty anymore, or as a pariah. I don't know why I'm posting this, perhaps just because I wanted to share. Perhaps because I needed to write it out. Whatever the reason, there it is. Have a wonderful day. 

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Replies (61-67):
fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I am Roman Catholic and I am glad you are doing what is best for you but it still makes me sad.

marieKilbane
by on May. 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I GO TO cHRISTIAN CHURCH AND i LOVE IT EVEN THROUGH i DON'T FITTED IN THIS WORLD BUT STILL i BELEIVE IN gOD AND jESUS AND HOLY SPIRIT INTO ONE.. i KNOW cATHOLIC DOESN'T TEACH.. i DO HAVE bIBILE STUDY AND i LOVE IT

Linus77
by on May. 19, 2013 at 12:47 AM

How do you pray for the intercession of the saints?  What does that mean?  Are you praying that they will pray for you?  If so...that is still wrong.  JESUS is our intercessor.  No one else except those on earth who intercede for others. 

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Quoting Linus77:

The thing about Cathlic churches is that they get into legallism, not grace.  We are to strive not to sin, but God knows that is impossible...otherwise, Jesus wouldn't have needed to come.  When we sin, we don't pray to Mary or any saints...as that is idolatry...but we confess our sin to God and ask HIS forgiveness...with the covering and cleansing of the blood of Jesus.

Pray that God will lead you to the church He would have you go to. 

But don't depend on the Church to complete your spiritual connection to God.  Get your Bible out, read it, and spend some time in prayer with the Lord.  Your own personal relationship with Jesus is the most important element.  As soon as you can, get filled with the Holy Spirit...

We pray for the intercession of the saints--that is NOT idolatry.

Clairwil
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 4:34 AM
Quoting sherry132:

I've been Catholic all of my life, though I've wandered from time to time in search of something that I fit into, but to no avail.

If you miss the tradition, music and feel of the services, you might try high church Anglicanism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Anglo-Catholic_churches#United_States

very similar to Catholic in feel, but without the patriarchical anti-woman guilt stuff.

PestPatti
by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Huh, I know people in my church, who have been divorced , had kids out of wedlock. And the church baptized them.   

I'm a Catholic, and have been well aware for years of their teachings.  But then again our priest is awesome...

IamMex11
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:11 AM

yea i remember going to a priest for consolation when my brother died, he said, your brother is in hell now....wow....i always knew, even as a little girl the catholic church did not have true teachings.

Quoting sherry132:

Well that isn't what was taught to me in Catholic school where I was taught. The nun specifically said the baby would be in the arms of Satan. 

I was a cradle Catholic, I did not decide on a whim "Oh I think I'll be Catholic this week." And that Church did do things for me, BEFORE my divorce. Not after. Which is why I've decided to leave after 11 years and going to several Parishes to try to find a Catholic church willing to embrace me. I'm fine with not receiving communion. But to treat me like I have a contagious disease? To turn me away when I would like to volunteer? To not want me there for prayers? Yes, those are things I wanted for myself, because before my divorce, I was extremely active at my church. It's the fact I'm not welcome that has left me deciding to leave. It's not my church anymore. The church chose that for me. 

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Quoting sherry132:

The Catholic Church NEVER taught that unbaptized babies went to Bell or Purgatory. It was called Limbo. The actual teaching is that these babies' souls are consigned to the mercy of God.
The best way to know the teachings of the Church is to read the Catechism of the Catholic Church. So many people do not want to accept any authority but their own. They join a church for what it can do for them, not to give God what He is due.

aprilmom73
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:23 AM

I converted to Catholocism (was Methodist), my husband, kids, and mother in law are catholic (Father in law is baptist. They are divorced) My 2 brothers in law are both Catholic but refuse to go. They say it is because of how their mother is about it. My husband said she was never into going to church though until her father passed away in 1992. My mom is Baptist, my dad converted with me. I was never really interested, but I didnt want my kids quetioning me all the time. My mother in law claims she is devout (Ha). And she gets annoying about it as well. I think that once she passes, I probably will convert back to Methodist or just stop going completely. I believe in God, always have. I just dont like being told that I am wrong about everything. Becoming Catholic did NOT change my beliefs one bit. I refuse to let my kids attend Catholic school. It would be too much. The thing I don't like about it is I feel they say every other religion is wrong. That in itself is wrong. I told one priest I played with a Ouija Board as a child. He said "EVIL" I said "No,  it's wood and plastic. It's made by Parker Brothers" I believe (on the Ouija Board thing) that you get out of it what you bring into it. If you ask for evil you will get it. I wasnt doing that and got no evil. I get that they have their beliefs and thats all fine and good. Some of mine have changed, but it is because I have matured, not because of the church. Ididnt get married in the Catholic church either. I know they do not like that, but one priest told me we were still married. So I thought he was awesome. I do NOT hate them. I just dont believe everything they believe and if they start shoving their beliefs down my throat (they have not got to that point yet), I will leave.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)