Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Change of custody? Change of CS?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 7 Replies
My oldest ss (he'll be 14 in July) has asked to come live with us. He finally talked to his mom about it this weekend. We are fine with it but told him it had to be planned with the parents.

She has custody with my DH having every other weekend, every other holiday and 6 weeks in the summer. DH also does medical, dental and vision insurance, all transportation and of coarse his CS.

My question is if you have had an older child choose to live with the other parent how did you go about changing legal custody and the change in CS? We live in Missouri if that helps. :)

There will still be some CS going to her because my younger ss is staying at this point.
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I think most states it is really easy to do if all parents are on board, just have a court hearing to update all that stuff.  CS may not have to be paid if each parent has one child in their primary custody.

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I don't have experience with this but here's a bump for other moms to see.

Love Giving Advice? Join Our Advice Squad!

jobo
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Petition the court and he will get a appointed law  guardian who will talked to him about this...

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Easy you go to the child support agency for your state here in Colorado its the Child Support Enforcement Agency in Oregon those things are handled through the DA's office for example and ask for modification.  They can direct you what forms to fill out

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Capratio
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM
I don't think MO CS can modify the orders if it is due to change of custody thru their own (vs court ordered)... I agree w the prev posters to petition the courts. They should include change of CS in the custody change orders

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Easy you go to the child support agency for your state here in Colorado its the Child Support Enforcement Agency in Oregon those things are handled through the DA's office for example and ask for modification.  They can direct you what forms to fill out

OoopsPregnant
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:57 AM

If the mother agrees then you don't need any paperwork.  You just let him move in.  You only need to go to court if the mother doesn't agree.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)