Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

PIOG - 8 month old very hyper and won't sleep long. Please, please help me.

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:14 AM
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this

My boy will not sleep for longer than a hour and a half. At night he won't go back to sleep unless we feed him. During nap time and bed time he is hyper as hell. He laughs, growls, talks, crawls, plays and whatever else he can do. I know he is tired because most times his eyes are barely open. 

Just to get it out of the way, here is a list of things I have tried. 

Ignoring him, feeding him solids in all shapes and forms and times, playing him out, being outside, all forms of natural remedies, Advil, Tylenol, tempra(when teething only)

Cio, Lio (laugh it out) Mobile and other sounds, Pu/pd method, Co sleeping, Feeding him to sleep, Easy sleep method, Wrapping him,Taking away afternoon naps, moving bedtimes, naps and wake ups and I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch. 

He has been doing this for months. The longest he has ever slept for is 6 hours one time. The frustrating part is he is the happiest baby ever. The only time he cries is when we are ignoring him so he goes to sleep. He also is a huge eater. He has 3 solid meals a day and 30 to 40 ounces of formula. The other night he drank 18 ounces in 8 hours. He never throws it up either. I know there is nothing wrong with him. He is a happy, healthy, active boy. We are just so burnt out. I can't even sleep for more thank 2 consecutive hours because my body as been programmed not to. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or has/is going through this?

TIA

"There is nothing common about common sense."

by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
SissyAnn141
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I would see a Doctor.

Something is wrong, somewhere ???????    group hug

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I would see if the doctor could do a sleep study for him.   He could be one of the few humans who do not need as much sleep as others.   My dd is a high energy girl and we were lucky if she could fall asleep before midnight through age 5.  Until age 3 she woke up many times during the night.  

I really don't know if there is something wrong or not.

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:31 AM

I am all about following a schedule and a routine.  At that age the sleep can be pushed out to 3 hours up and then down for a nap and should still be 2 naps in the day for a total of 3 hours and sleeping at night for about 11 hours.  He may have early signs of separation anxiety which generally starts at about 9 months, strange anxiety also starts around this time.

I work nights, so I sleep when the baby does and I made sure my baby/toddler sleeps and this is what I do:

1) warm milk/breast/formula before nap

2) brush teeth

3) change diaper, etc

4) rub down/massage with lavender lotion (any lotion will do but lavender helps to soothe)

5) story with cuddle time

6) white noise such as a fan that will buffer sounds as well as circulate the air reducing the risk of SIDS and/or soft classical lullabye music on a timer

7) room darkening shades/curtains

8) In regards to separation anxiety, I gave my baby my sleep shirt so she has Mommy scent for comfort and it worked like a charm because the fabric is also very soft and light.

They are knocked out within 10 minutes.  My 3 yr old still sleeps 2 to 3 hours in the day in one nap.  personally, I think dropping to only 1 nap at 8 months old is still too early.

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:34 AM

it could also just be a growth spurt which is common and explains the increased appetite and activity level and there is no need to go see a doctor. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)