Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is this an appropriate letter to sports commisioner or is it rude! Yelling Coach? 6 year old boys

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM
  • 2 Replies

Poll

Question: Is this appropriate?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 6

View Results

Gentlemen,

My name is Savannah Harris and I am a mom of a U6 tee ball player.  Recently our team played the Light blue team.  They have a head coach (Who's name I have been told is Curtis Fowler) who is a very bad representative of this league.  In fact he is everything that is wrong with youth coaches.  He yells A LOT!!!  So much so that it was the topic of conversation among our teams parents for weeks.  A boy named Hogan, who I assume is his son, was screamed at for 3 whole innings.  I am not exaggerating when I say that I feel like it was public child abuse.  This little boy (again U6 age group here) eventually hung his head in shame and stopped being engaged in the game.  It was painful to watch.

I tried to tell myself this was probably not normal behavior, and he was probably having a bad day.  So I made it a point to watch him coach when he was nearby.  He behaves the same way in practice.  Last night he made some boys run as discipline (which is fine of course), but he verbally assaulted them the entire time.  Again it was mostly aimed at a boy named Hogan.

I am a sports mom, and have been for years!  My husband has coached, I have been team mom, or even bench coach myself.  Being loud and animated, commanding the attention of your players is something I am accustomed to, and perfectly fine with.  I also understand the challenges of coaching young children.  I know how frustrating their short attention span, and erratic behavior can be.  Whats going on on this light blue team is more than that.  I am surprised if you haven't received comments from the parents on his team.

I encourage you to go watch the U6 light blue team play a game.  You should see this person who is representing TCR so poorly.  At the very least he needs to be talked to about how to act appropriately in front of the children.  Honestly I encourage you to not allow this man to coach in the future, as the damage he is doing to these children can cause them to shy away from sports all together.  

Thank you for your time and for all that you do to support the boys of Trophy Club and Roanoke,
Savannah Harris    
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
redhead-bedhead
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM
While it sucks that he's a prick, it's not uncommon for coaches to be screamers.
My hs track coach was a screamer.

Your letter is fine.
Lovemyshadows
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Collect signatures of concerned parents and send that as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)