Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

HELP VA/Drugs/alcoholic

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM
  • 4 Replies

K....I am writing this for my friend.  Her father in law is with the VA .  He is a alcoholic and does drugs.  He has been getting very violent lately and theres not much the cops can do.  They all live on the same property and she is saving money to move out.  Well he drinks about a bottel of Vadka a day.  He has a drug test every 6 months but they are scheduled.  So he gets clean right before to make sure he gets is vicodine(spelling) again and other meds.  Problem is he gets a unlimited supply and he takes a bunch with his vadka on a daily basis.  The pills and vadka make him super dangerous.  Problem is she is on the property in the middle of no where with her kids by herself.  She will not go stay in a shelter because of the kids.  Is there anything she can do with the VA so they will give him a random test?  He is not allowed to drink per the doc at the VA but he drinks a bottle a day.  She called the local # and the lady said she wont do anything,,,, Ideas?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Check him into the local hospital if you can as a danger to himself and others.   I am not sure what all can be done really.

Lovemyshadows
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Get more locks on the doors.  Call the cops, they can take him if they believe he is a danger to himself or others.  The VA does not give unlimited supplies of Vicodin.  Do you know who his dr is.  Call the VA and report him.  Keep calling, somebody will listen.  Do you know his social security number?  That will make it easier when calling the VA.  Best of luck girl, keep us posted.

mommyof3-2008
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Someone called Adult services on him and they cant/wont do anything since he stated he does not drink.  If its not a unlimited supply then my friend thinks they are because he gets enough to pop them like candy

lkane81
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Unfortunately some docs in the va dont mind giving pills of any kind. Theres really not much she can do unless he admits he has a problem. Get locks and keeo saving to move. She may be able to talk to a patient advocate that could help her give that a try or a counselor at the va. But unless he wants the help the va wont do much.

Quoting mommyof3-2008:

Someone called Adult services on him and they cant/wont do anything since he stated he does not drink.  If its not a unlimited supply then my friend thinks they are because he gets enough to pop them like candy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN