Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

The pediatrician didn't know this????.wtf

Posted by   + Show Post
Ok so my 18 month old niece has had some sleep issues lately. It's been going on since she turned 1 where she hardly sleeps or wakes up all night long. They did a Epilepsy/sleep study and everything came out fine. But she is still not sleeping,therefore she is becoming violent. I told SIL about checking her melatonin level(someone here advice me on that) well the ped told my SIL that she didn't know what kind of test that was. I'm like Wtf.
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Replies (11-20):
ajdahd13
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:00 PM
This is what op is talking about:

Your melatonin levels can be tested with a blood test, urine test or saliva test. If you are concerned that you may actually be melatonin deficient, ask your doctor about testing. Melatonin is produced by the pineal gland and sends a signal to regulate the sleep-wake cycle in the sleep center of the brain. Interestingly, melatonin is also produced in the retina, the skin, and the GI tract, but this is not the melatonin what affects your biological sleep clock.
ajdahd13
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk Op but I'm bumping twice.
-42-
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM
A melatonin deficiency is highly unlikely.

Maybe she's having night terrors.
kaylasmom22
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you

Quoting ajdahd13:

This is what op is talking about:

Your melatonin levels can be tested with a blood test, urine test or saliva test. If you are concerned that you may actually be melatonin deficient, ask your doctor about testing. Melatonin is produced by the pineal gland and sends a signal to regulate the sleep-wake cycle in the sleep center of the brain. Interestingly, melatonin is also produced in the retina, the skin, and the GI tract, but this is not the melatonin what affects your biological sleep clock.
kaylasmom22
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:03 PM
I don't know but SIL is desperate

Quoting -42-:

A melatonin deficiency is highly unlikely.

Maybe she's having night terrors.
bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on May. 1, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I've never heard of anyone being tested for it either. Ds takes it every night because he has RLS. Did she have an actual sleep study done or a sleep deprived EEG?

Donnah118
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM

See if she can take melatonin. My Walgreens pharmacy actually sells it in liquid form which surprised me. And it's lemon flavored!

shadowkisses
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM

why not just give her the melatonin? 

IamMex11
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM

serotonin?

kaylasmom22
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:14 PM
She went to a Epilepsy center and was monitored over night. Epilepsy was ruled out but the baby its not sleeping.

Quoting bmw29:

I've never heard of anyone being tested for it either. Ds takes it every night because he has RLS. Did she have an actual sleep study done or a sleep deprived EEG?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN