Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does this sound like a good job?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:26 AM
  • 2 Replies

Right now I sell print advertising. M-F 9-5 with little flexibility and I am watched like a hawk because my boss literally lives right across the street. The boss frowns on sick days and is very restrictive as to when we can take vacation (based on deadlines and print dates) WHEN I qualify for vacation time I can literally only choose from 2 weeks out of any month. My kids spring break fell on deadline this year and I asked for ONE day (unpaid) to hang out with my kids and she said NO even though all of my ad copy was complete. I am paid $7.25 an hour plus commission and right now I am making about $2000 a month on 20 accts, most of which are 10% commission... so I'm busting my ass on some accounts that pay me $25 a month. However, I could be up to $3k a month by the end of the summer.

I have a job interview tomorrow. It's for Radio Ad Sales for a well known station in my area. Commission only (30%) - however, with radio ads costing more compared to print, I could sell one ad and with the cost to produce and the purchase of 25 thirty second spots per month... make $500. Sell 4 of those per month, plus renewals, etc... I could pretty quickly surpass what I'm making now. I would work out of my home office with a very flexible schedule. The owner of the station told me if I want to take a day off just to send him a text in the morning and let him know. He basically said, based on my individual income needs, I can work part time one week and full time the next!

I have a lot of questions for him, but I think I'm sold! What do you think? It's a no brainer, right? However, it is kind of nice to have a small guaranteed income. But it would be nice to have the potential to make more without having to answer to a boss who gives no shit for a positive work/life balance.

A CAMPING WE WILL GO - Do you LOVE to camp? Maybe something you've never done but would like to try? Join us for camping conversation, reviews, tips, recipes, and more!http://www.cafemom.com/group/118687

by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
workingandmommy
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:53 AM

IMHO ... go for it! But I really don't know anything about the industry.  However, I do know what it's like to be treated like crap at your job. It's just not worth it. This radio gig sounds like it has more potential for growth than your current gig.  Plus, you've shown that you are willing to work as hard as you need to work to make money on commission.

Just try not to burn your bridges - one option is that you could tell your current boss that you got this offer and that you could still work part-time for her on the side.  Just a thought, but I really don't know a lot about sales and commission stuff...

SissyAnn141
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:30 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)