Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Nap Change

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi Momma's - my 11 month old has been an excellent sleeper his whole life. However, this week he has made a complete shift with his nap schedule. Where he typically take 2 naps per day, each between 1 and 2 hours, for this whole week he has basically stopped napping. If we are lucky, he will sleep for 20 minutes at a time. 

He is in daycare. I have been talking with them and I know and trust that they are doing everything they can to get him to go down and stay down...he just has not interest in his naps. 

Has anyone experienced this before?  Any advice?

by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:52 AM

1) schedule

2) routine

3) room darkening shades/curtains

4) white noise--fan buffers outside sounds and circulates the air reducing the risk of SIDS and/or soft classical lullabye music on a timer

5) warm milk

6) massage with lavender lotion--who wouldnt pass out after a full body massage??

7) lower temperature in the area

8) something you have worn such as a sleep shirt so he has Mommy scent for comfort

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 3, 2013 at 3:13 AM

DD went through this each time she had a growth spurt or learned a new skill. Teething could also affect sleep.

funhappymom
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:26 AM

It sounds pretty normal to me. Like the pp said, when a baby goes through a growth spurt, get more teeth or learns a new skill, they can shift their sleep pattern. You may need to adjust his sleep schedule some and see if that helps.

Arwyn724
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I never stressed out too much over daytime naps, my kids napped when they needed it.  I was only concerned with their night time sleep patterns.  As long as they got a very good night's sleep, the napping was off & on.

Reina13
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Mine did that when they were going through a growth spurt. As long as it is not effecting his overall schedule and not his night time sleep schedule, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat with us Every Tuesday!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:18 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on May. 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Sounds normal to me,
They do tend to change their own sleep patterns.
Perhaps he is ready to give up one.
Good luck :)

Bmat
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM

He may have outgrown napping. Sometimes it happens. You can try for one nap now instead of two, but it may not work. Maybe he will play quietly on his own for a few minutes.

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 8:54 AM

This all sounds totally normal. He is getting to an age he doesn't need so many naps and daycare is stimulation to him. Cut back to one nap, maybe change his bedtime to a half hour later.

Jamiebd
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Thank you for all the replies. This makes me feel much better. 

ScrChk23
by Amanda on May. 4, 2013 at 11:40 PM
This is what I was going to say. My little guy seems to be doing it too. He is almost 18 months.

Quoting frndlyfn:

DD went through this each time she had a growth spurt or learned a new skill. Teething could also affect sleep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)