Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I have a question and this is not a joke. My MIL throws fits and acts like a child, my 5 year old is more mature. My MIL is 65 years old, that's still young and if she does not get what she wants she throws a tantrums and this is even at work. She has said things under her breath, she has worn clothes for 3 days in a row, she decided she did not want to share the microwave with one person at work so she bought her own and keeps it in her office. She use to have little knick knacks but she took them home cause it ppl were not worthy to look at them. If she's mad about work she will brood and be mean for a week and has broken promises to her granddaughter.

On top if this she's like borderline hoarder. She will eat moldy food tearing off the mold part. The lost goes on.

Has anyone had to deal with this? I think she's got some psychological issues and my thought is she needs to seek help. I told DH she prob won't seek help then he will have to force her. Just wondering if anyone has been here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
Cherish77
by Cherish on May. 3, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Idk my grandma didn't start trying to eat moody food till her 80s. Does she forget who her children are at all? If so it could be beginnings of dementia or Alzheimer's.
Cherish77
by Cherish on May. 3, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Sorry meant moldy. Not moody stupid auto correct.
melodynewsome
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 12:46 AM
My grandmother has dementia so I totally understand as she gets mixed up. My MIL remembers who we are and DH told me that she has fine this since he was a kid so this is not recent - just a lot ofvthingscare coming to light because of the recent behavior.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SissyAnn141
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:42 AM

This is starting to sound more serious to me.

She is not the type to give you "Medical Power of Attorney".

You REALLY NEED TO TALK TO DOCTOR !!!!

She really, does not to be driving..

GOOD DOCTORS are , willing to take the blame and help you.

She is going to end up hurt or lost.

CLICK-ABLE TO GROUP

lwinwood
by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:54 AM
Sounds like maybe dementia? X
melodynewsome
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Why do u think dementia it's nothing like my grandmother.

Quoting lwinwood:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lwinwood
by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Sorry so long to reply.... Am at work :-)
I just thought possibly dementia because from what you said I got that she is having tantrums/moodswings, hoarding things and being unreasonably possesive over things...ie microwave. Shes breaking promises...has she become forgetful? Dementia can come on early it doesnt only happen to the very elderly, it could be early onset. I dont mean to offend of course and im not a doctor. You need to get her checked out. Good luck x

Quoting melodynewsome:

Quoting lwinwood:

marieKilbane
by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Oh that was gross to have moldy in the house.. If I have it ...it will make me sick .. couldn't take it

melodynewsome
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM
The broken promises is not because she forgot but more she's in a bad mood so since she does not want to do something she promised it is ok to make her granddaughter said. We are suppose to put children first and I would think a grandchild should come before yourself too. Last year we had our daughter crying cause nana broke her promise.

Although see she also says she's lonely and just sits in her house all by herself blah blah blah. We cannot be entertaining her 24/7 and I looked at work for EAP as we want to be armed with all information when we approach her to seek help. I was reading lonliness can lead to dementia. I are that cause my grandmother got it after she stopped doing things. We want her to join groups/clubs/ go to church - something. Although the problem is she alinates ppl if she does not get her way she will "hate" you and yes I know that's a string word but that is how she is. I use to go to crochet class w her and my daughter on w a week and it was a girl thing, she refuses to go and even my daughter has asked her to go.

Quoting lwinwood:

I just thought possibly dementia because from what you said I got that she is having tantrums/moodswings, hoarding things and being unreasonably possesive over things...ie microwave. Shes breaking promises...has she become forgetful? Dementia can come on early it doesnt only happen to the very elderly, it could be early onset. I dont mean to offend of course and im not a doctor. You need to get her checked out. Good luck x

Quoting melodynewsome:

Quoting lwinwood:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lwinwood
by on May. 3, 2013 at 3:17 PM
How old is she? Has she always been like this or is it out of character? x

Quoting melodynewsome:

The broken promises is not because she forgot but more she's in a bad mood so since she does not want to do something she promised it is ok to make her granddaughter said. We are suppose to put children first and I would think a grandchild should come before yourself too. Last year we had our daughter crying cause nana broke her promise.

Although see she also says she's lonely and just sits in her house all by herself blah blah blah. We cannot be entertaining her 24/7 and I looked at work for EAP as we want to be armed with all information when we approach her to seek help. I was reading lonliness can lead to dementia. I are that cause my grandmother got it after she stopped doing things. We want her to join groups/clubs/ go to church - something. Although the problem is she alinates ppl if she does not get her way she will "hate" you and yes I know that's a string word but that is how she is. I use to go to crochet class w her and my daughter on w a week and it was a girl thing, she refuses to go and even my daughter has asked her to go.

Quoting lwinwood:

Quoting melodynewsome:

Quoting lwinwood:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)