Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I have a question and this is not a joke. My MIL throws fits and acts like a child, my 5 year old is more mature. My MIL is 65 years old, that's still young and if she does not get what she wants she throws a tantrums and this is even at work. She has said things under her breath, she has worn clothes for 3 days in a row, she decided she did not want to share the microwave with one person at work so she bought her own and keeps it in her office. She use to have little knick knacks but she took them home cause it ppl were not worthy to look at them. If she's mad about work she will brood and be mean for a week and has broken promises to her granddaughter.

On top if this she's like borderline hoarder. She will eat moldy food tearing off the mold part. The lost goes on.

Has anyone had to deal with this? I think she's got some psychological issues and my thought is she needs to seek help. I told DH she prob won't seek help then he will have to force her. Just wondering if anyone has been here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Replies (21-26):
childofGod995
by on May. 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM

the eating of moldy food sounds like a mental health issue. you need to have that checked out.

melodynewsome
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM
She is 65 and she has always been like this but it was more suddle before off and on, its extremely pronounced now that this cannot be normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LDavis33
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I don't see why you couldn't talk to her Dr. about this.  As long as you are meeting to discuss your concerns, and he/she doesn't give you any specifics about your MIL's health, it shouldn't be a violation of any privacy laws.

It's been my (limited) experience that most people with mental health issues really struggle with the idea at first and it might be very difficult for her to ask for help.  If you talk to her Dr., he/she may be able to ask some questions at her next visit that might help open the lines of communication.  Good luck.

Cubanmom84
by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM

My MIL is similar, but with food. She has 150 medical problems, i swear we will donate her body to science when she dies, just to see how she even lived that long. She is not suppose to basically eat anything with fat, sugar or grain.... she eats everything with fat, sugar and grain... and one time she started eating her second cup cake in front of my husband and my husband said "are you really going to eat that?" and she just stood there like a child and said "yeah, so what".... she does this all the time, and if she gets pissed enough she will run to her room and slam her door like a teenager..... i think old people just regress to childhood behavior lol

Rosesandlilys
by on May. 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Has she been tested for dementia?

Rosesandlilys
by on May. 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

http://www.thirdage.com/alzheimer-s/the-10-warning-signs-of-dementia

The 10 Warning Signs of Dementia

If you're caring for elderly loved ones who seem to be headed toward senility, you're not alone. There are many types of dementia -- Alzheimer's is just one of them. Statistically, families ignore the early warning signs for years because they incorrectly believe that intermittently odd behaviors are just a normal part of aging .

Author and former television executive Jacqueline Marcell gave up her career, went through 40 caregivers and cried a river before she succeeded in getting a handle on the situation. She tells how in her book, Elder Rage, or Take My Father ... Please! How to Survive Caring for Aging Parents, (Impressive Press, 2001).

Education Is Key

"Everyone should know the warning signs of dementia and the importance of seeking help sooner than later," Marcell emphasizes. The 10 signs are as follows:

1. recent memory loss that affects job skills
  2. difficulty performing familiar tasks
  3. problems with language
  4. disorientation of time and place
  5. poor or decreased judgment
  6. problems with abstract thinking
  7. misplacing things
  8. changes in mood or behavior
  9. changes in personality
  10. loss of initiative

Marcell says, "By the age of 65, one out of every 10 persons has some form of dementia, and by the age of 85, one out of every two. Since the fastest growing segment of our population is the 85-plus group, there are countless Americans now struggling to care for dementia-suffering family and friends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)