Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Head lice home remedies?

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM
  • 9 Replies
If you have had a problem with head lice, what are some home remedies that have worked?
by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank god I have never had to deal with it but have read about Listerine working like a charm.

After you get this cleared up, I highly recommend spritzing your kids down with a mixture of water and tea tree oil. Admittedly, it smells terrible but my kids have never gotten lice and I credit that. I spray their hair, jackets and backpacks every day. We have also used a lice repellant that they sell at the drugstore, it's in a green bottle.

kss12
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Anything with tea tree oil
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Mayo. My best friends mom used to do it. Pretty sure it work but I'm not 100% positive. I would think leaving a hot oil treatment in for a while would help to suffocate them.
Lisa2424
by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Not my children, thank goodness! A friend of mine. She keeps getting rid of it, but it comes back a few weeks later. I just asked her if some other kids at her school may have it. I suggested she talk with the school nurse.

Ill pass along the listerine trick. Thank you!

Quoting JulyBabies:

Thank god I have never had to deal with it but have read about Listerine working like a charm.

After you get this cleared up, I highly recommend spritzing your kids down with a mixture of water and tea tree oil. Admittedly, it smells terrible but my kids have never gotten lice and I credit that. I spray their hair, jackets and backpacks every day. We have also used a lice repellant that they sell at the drugstore, it's in a green bottle.

JTROX
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

The health coordinator at my previous work always said olive oil can be helpful.

zoo003
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM

When my dd had lice for the first, and only time, a few years ago, we found that Cetaphil worked the best.  We originally tried the lice killers in the store, but they didn't work, and were really harsh, so we called the doctor and this is what she recommended.  It isn't natural, but it isn't harsh chemicals either.  Good luck.   

*Edit-I wanted to add that we were also told to add a few drops of tea tree oil into our shampoos to prevent lice in everyone else's hair.  I guess they do not like tea tree oil. 

RADmomma
by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:28 PM
I've heard mayo before.
Lovemyshadows
by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Don't forget to treat bedding in hot water, new pillows, vacuum everyday.  It's hard to get rid of lice.  All stuffed animals go through the dryer on hi heat.  Wash brushes and combs or better yet buy new.  I had 3 kids with lice from the neighbors kid.  It was hell for a good 2 weeks.  Good luck.

Thunderbug75
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I have heard mayo works.

Remind your friend to treat the car seats.  I knew a family that repeatedly had lice.  They couldn't figure  out why.  Till they remembered the car seats.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)