Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Teen mom senior pic with son pulled from school, school says it promotes teen pregnancy

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM
  • 13 Replies

TRINITY, N.C. – The picture of a teen mom Caitlin Tiller holding her son has been banned from the Wheatmore High School yearbook.

Last summer, the school invited seniors to include a prop in their senior picture that represents an achievement or something that best represents them. Students say the invitation did not include rules or requirements.

Students chose everything from baseballs, band instruments to family pets. Caitlin Tiller chose her son, Leelin.

“He helped me get to where I am today,” said Tiller who is 17. “I wouldn’t be the person I am today without him.”

Tiller says since the birth of her son in April of 2012, she’s worked harder in school and graduated early. She started college in January and works more than 30 hours a week at a part-time job all while also being teenage mom. Tiller says she gets a lot of support from her family and Leelin’s father.

In April, just two days before the yearbook was to be printed, Tiller says school staff told her the picture was being pulled because it promoted teen pregnancy. Tiller says she believes the picture promotes responsibility and love.

“He has helped me achieve my goal to graduate high school and go forward with my dreams,” she said.

Randolph County School officials would not comment on exactly why the picture was pulled, except to say the yearbook should be all about the student not an extension of their family.

“She took responsibility,” said Tiller’s mom Karen Morgan. “They should be proud that the students are willing to stay in school graduate and make something of themselves and not try and hide it.”

Morgan hopes the school system will have a change of heart in the future and embrace those students who are proud of their accomplishments no matter how real they may be.

School officials say the decision is final and the yearbook is now being printed. Tiller could have submitted another photograph but she chose not to. Tiller said if the school isn’t proud of her achievements she didn’t want to be included in the yearbook.

by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I don't think it "promotes" teen pregnancy but I also don't think a high school should be obligated to put it in the yearbook either. 

specialwingz
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I think it should be the student's choice.  It's the students' yearbook.  NOT the school's.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on May. 3, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

i am going to be the bad guy here

I dont think teen pregnancies should be glorifed. I understand that they made a choice but i dont think it was wrong for the school to deny her for the photo. good for the school for not allowing her to post the picture. i dont think this should even be national news

Cubanmom84
by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I don't think its appropriate to put that in a year book..... yes you got pregnant, you had a child young, i am happy you are proud to be a parent, but is not appropriate for school nor for a yearbook.

Donnah118
by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:46 PM
I think it's wonderful that she worked as hard as she has and has accomplished what she has. She undoubtedly will provide a good future for her child. She sends put a positive message to other teenagers so it does glorify teen pregnancy. I have never heard of any other Mom taking a picture with their child. I am with the school.
toopicky429
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this
In another article it said that the school's policy was no family members or friends in individual senior photos. It sounds like the media is sensationalizing this.
Donnah118
by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM
*out*

Quoting Donnah118:

I think it's wonderful that she worked as hard as she has and has accomplished what she has. She undoubtedly will provide a good future for her child. She sends put a positive message to other teenagers so it does glorify teen pregnancy. I have never heard of any other Mom taking a picture with their child. I am with the school.
xixCandyxix
by Candy on May. 3, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I feel bad for the girl.

danandsamsmom
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I agree with the school.  The picture isn't appropriate for a high school yearbook.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on May. 3, 2013 at 6:11 PM
I agree.

Quoting toopicky429:

In another article it said that the school's policy was no family members or friends in individual senior photos. It sounds like the media is sensationalizing this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)