Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is it normal...or am i bad mom?

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 7:48 PM
  • 70 Replies

My son gets diaper rash very easily. Its not like i let him sit in his diapers forever or anything, But at night he will go poop and not wake up or cry or anything. So i dont find out till morning and then he has a pretty bad diaper rash. Everytime he gets one i feel so bad, like people would look down on me for that. Is that normal?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Miss5ft4
by on May. 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM
2 moms liked this

If you don't know, you don't know. It doesn't make you a bad mom, by any means.

You might try setting yourself an alarm and waking up during the night to check on him, I can't guarantee he won't wake up if you try to change a diaper, but it might be worth a shot to keep the diaper rash down.

Lovemyshadows
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:03 PM
6 moms liked this

You are not a bad mom.  Diaper rash is unavoidable.  I would try a paste as a protectant at night. Beadroux sp? Butt paste.  Even Vaseline.  That's what I'd try. Others may have better ideas.

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Cake on some Vaseline at the last diaper change before bed.
hotmama83227
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

i always felt guilty when my dd got a rash! but i don't think it makes you a bad mommy! diaper rash happens.

Jessy613
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Your not a bad mom at all! Just put some desitin on before you put his bedtime diaper on. 

MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Maybe check on him during the night more? My kids never got rashes, so im not an expert in them ... but maybe some baby powder or cream to at night time also to help prevent?

dblhlx
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I had the same problem with my dd when she was younger. I tried all different kinds of rash ointment to make it go away. (Bordaux's butt paste sp?, desitin, anti monkey butt, dr smiths) it turned out she was allergic to zinc oxcide. We ended up using a&d ointment. Its part lanolin and part vaseline so it worked pretty well for her.
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:38 PM

there is a lot of pressure on moms to be perfect.... if you are honestly doing your best to prevent and when they happen treat the rash... then you are not a bad mom.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Here I thought i was the weirdo.  DD never got rashes either as a baby.   

How old is the baby ?  Someone on here said there was a recipe for the stuff they use in hospital and to keep the butt bare for awhile after you do the messy diaper changing.  I wonder if sitting him in plain water (no soap) would help the bacteria leave his skin.

Quoting MrsNewman:

Maybe check on him during the night more? My kids never got rashes, so im not an expert in them ... but maybe some baby powder or cream to at night time also to help prevent?

jmart18255
by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM
2 moms liked this

well first it does not mke you a bad mom at all.. second at the last diaper change before bed slather on a&d ointment, desitin, vaseline or any other baby butt protectant and see if that helps if not go to the pedi and ask if maybe it's a yeasty rash(my nephew gets these for some weird reason and they get bad he has such sensitive skin) if its a yeast rash the dr will prescribe diflucan or nystatin and they work wonders! i've had 5 kids who have been through horrendous rashes and all of the above really helped them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)