Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

He breaks my heart every time update

Posted by   + Show Post
Ds and I have been homeless since shortly after he was born. We just spent five and half months in a homeless shelter that was an apt and now we are moving again. Anyways we have housing coming through and will have it in a couple of weeks so we are moving to another homeless shelter till it comes through. We have to drive three to five hours to get to our final destination, housing is in another state. We have been staying in a hotel that we have stayed at before.
My heart is breaking because Ds keeps saying he wants to go home back to the shelter we were living at. I feel so bad but don't know what to do because we obviously can't go back and we have to move completely away and temporarily to another shelter does anyone have any ideas on how to help Ds understand we can't go back and have to move?

He'll be four in June.

update: We just got a call that Housing has finally came through. While waiting for it my parents have helped pay for a hotel room with a stove, no oven. I have also been looking for a job and have had one interview with regal and have another on Friday the 14 at noon. So things are starting to look good for us.
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
RoseWall
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:42 AM

hugs

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I have moved my kids seveal times the most recent was at the begining of april and the best thing you can do is be honest... and positive. they may cry for the place and people they are familiar with but if you are upbeat and tell him the good things about where you are going it will help...just keep repeating them until he feels better

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Thanks, hopefully this is the last long move we have to make. We have a major move into the house we are getting but hopefully that is it for at least more then a year.

Quoting proudmom5584:

I'm sorry that you are going through hard times. Things will get better for you and your son. Have faith and never stop believing that you can get through this.

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 2:30 AM
We've been couch surfing all this time,except for these last five and half months.

Quoting ditsyjo:

I have moved my kids seveal times the most recent was at the begining of april and the best thing you can do is be honest... and positive. they may cry for the place and people they are familiar with but if you are upbeat and tell him the good things about where you are going it will help...just keep repeating them until he feels better

freddysmom
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:35 AM

all i can offer is sympathy. transition is hard for my 3-year-old, and we've never had to do something major like moving homes. are there any little choices you can offer him. like when you get to your final destination, maybe he can choose blankets he likes. i also like the adventure suggestion.  Good luck!

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:56 AM

so it was the first time he felt like he was secure and at home...It's hard on little guys...sincerely hope you guys find your feet soon.

Quoting Bookoholic:

We've been couch surfing all this time,except for these last five and half months.

Quoting ditsyjo:

Dreamly
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:59 AM
Good luck
Ellie-Mae
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Acknowledge his sadness and fears. Share that you're sad and scared too, but you can't go back. Then talk up the new housing. His own room. New friends, etc.
jhslove
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:31 AM

He's almost four and you've been homeless for all that time?

Oh, my God. I'm so sorry. I don't really have any good advice, just.......I'm sorry. I hope you get some good answers from someone who can advise.

RyansMom001
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I'm sorry.  Hopefully this new housing will allow for a more long term situation.  Moving is really hard on kids this age but your son will be okay. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN