Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

He breaks my heart every time update

Posted by   + Show Post
Ds and I have been homeless since shortly after he was born. We just spent five and half months in a homeless shelter that was an apt and now we are moving again. Anyways we have housing coming through and will have it in a couple of weeks so we are moving to another homeless shelter till it comes through. We have to drive three to five hours to get to our final destination, housing is in another state. We have been staying in a hotel that we have stayed at before.
My heart is breaking because Ds keeps saying he wants to go home back to the shelter we were living at. I feel so bad but don't know what to do because we obviously can't go back and we have to move completely away and temporarily to another shelter does anyone have any ideas on how to help Ds understand we can't go back and have to move?

He'll be four in June.

update: We just got a call that Housing has finally came through. While waiting for it my parents have helped pay for a hotel room with a stove, no oven. I have also been looking for a job and have had one interview with regal and have another on Friday the 14 at noon. So things are starting to look good for us.
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Replies (141-150):
Linus77
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Tell him the truth.  It's a good learning experience that sometimes things happen, and we can't change that.  You can also lead that up to getting an education so that he will be able to work and make money so that he never has to be without a home.  You can also teach him compassion so that when he DOES have a home, he will be kind to those who don't.

I know it's a bad situation you are in...but if you refuse to be stressed, but be calm and encouraging, teaching your son life lessons, he will know how to face his own obstacles with grace and intelligence...and yet strive for betternment.

Four years old is not too young to learn about life...just simplify things and keep confident because he will get his cues from you.  You are doing great, IMO.  Stay strong and positive.  God rain His blessings on you!

DomsMama07
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Nice assumption but no! I work full time and go to school full time to ensure my kids won't be homeless. I've been broke and Not so lucky but I made a choice do to something about it.

Quoting tiffanyrachelle:

What exactly do you do that's so special? I'm

Assuming you are a stay at home 'couch surfing' mom......

Quoting DomsMama07:

I never said I was did I? I understand times are hard and the economy sucks. But being unstable and or homeless your child's entire life? Doesn't seem like she has the motivation or wants to better her and her kids future. You all say he is young but I bet you he will remember "couch surfing" for all those years.

Quoting LoveMyLos:

Youre special, arent you? Calm your tits.

Quoting DomsMama07:

I guess I'm the bitch in this group.. I'm not offering any sympathy. I'm wondering how you've been SO unstable for four years?! Homeless that long? Why haven't you got a job and tried to better yourself and find a stable place to live for your kid!? Start saving money! Cut your data plan on your phone, get off cafemom and quit moving that poor kid around!! Couch surfing for almost 4 years is ridiculous!
DomsMama07
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Yes, I am. Thanks! :)

Quoting tiffanyrachelle:

Yes you are a bitch.

Quoting DomsMama07:

I guess I'm the bitch in this group.. I'm not offering any sympathy. I'm wondering how you've been SO unstable for four years?! Homeless that long? Why haven't you got a job and tried to better yourself and find a stable place to live for your kid!? Start saving money! Cut your data plan on your phone, get off cafemom and quit moving that poor kid around!! Couch surfing for almost 4 years is ridiculous!
tiffanyrachelle
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:17 AM
You're more then just a bitch. You're a bully. I feel sorry for your kids. At least OP's child has a good mom on the inside with a heart.

Quoting DomsMama07:

Quoting tiffanyrachelle:

Yes you are a bitch.

Quoting DomsMama07:

DomsMama07
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM
By asking realistic questions I'm a bully? I'm just curious as to how she hasn't improved her and her child's life one bit in four years..

Quoting tiffanyrachelle:

You're more then just a bitch. You're a bully. I feel sorry for your kids. At least OP's child has a good mom on the inside with a heart.

Quoting DomsMama07:

Quoting tiffanyrachelle:

Yes you are a bitch.

Quoting DomsMama07:

Linus77
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
It doesn't matter whether someone deserves compassion or not. None of us really do...but WE have the choice to offer or feel compassion for others. Maybe we've never been in their situation, but we never know if we might. We shouldn't assume a person deserves to be homeless. It's not for us to judge another in their condition, but to be willing to offer a hand, a prayer, and definitely compassion. Just remember, if you show no mercy, neither will God show mercy to you.
Nateaulo
by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I know first hand how hard it is to be homeless with children. I have 3 children, twin boys that are 15 and a 8yo boy. About 3 years ago we lost our home when my husband lost his job. My aunt and uncle let the twins live there during the school year, but there wasn't enough room for all of us. Also they lived too far away for my husband to look for work. My youngest wasn't in school yet so we all lived in our van for about 4 months. Then we moved into a tent encampment and we lived there for 1 year! I saw someone else say try and make it an adventure. I told my son it was like camping. He still talks about it and says how fun it was to live in a tent. We just tried to make things as normal as possible. We cooked over a fire and ate dinner as a family and we had bed time stories using a flashlight. We made do with what we had and kids are amazingly adaptable to new situations. We have a house now and are all together again.

Talisyns
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 8:07 PM

You're on the way up, good job! And you're raising a great child in very difficult circumstances. Speaking as someone who spent a lot of years living with my 7 siblings and both parents in a bus in a desert I can truthfully say that all your little boy needs is your confidence and love, the rest will work out. you rock

mermaid13dragon
by on May. 27, 2013 at 7:09 PM

So - it's been several weeks . What's happened? Are you settled in a new place yet? Are you unable to access the Internet at Cafemom? Have you found a job? What about your child? Just curious, sending you good thoughts!

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM
my dad is helping pay for a hotel with a kitchenette, no oven, till housing comes through which should be any day. so no new place yet Unforantely, ds has and is doing alright keeps asking to play with friends, but I can't take him anywhere right now no gas money.

Quoting mermaid13dragon:

So - it's been several weeks . What's happened? Are you settled in a new place yet? Are you unable to access the Internet at Cafemom? Have you found a job? What about your child? Just curious, sending you good thoughts!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)