Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

He breaks my heart every time update

Posted by   + Show Post
Ds and I have been homeless since shortly after he was born. We just spent five and half months in a homeless shelter that was an apt and now we are moving again. Anyways we have housing coming through and will have it in a couple of weeks so we are moving to another homeless shelter till it comes through. We have to drive three to five hours to get to our final destination, housing is in another state. We have been staying in a hotel that we have stayed at before.
My heart is breaking because Ds keeps saying he wants to go home back to the shelter we were living at. I feel so bad but don't know what to do because we obviously can't go back and we have to move completely away and temporarily to another shelter does anyone have any ideas on how to help Ds understand we can't go back and have to move?

He'll be four in June.

update: We just got a call that Housing has finally came through. While waiting for it my parents have helped pay for a hotel room with a stove, no oven. I have also been looking for a job and have had one interview with regal and have another on Friday the 14 at noon. So things are starting to look good for us.
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Replies (41-50):
mermaid13dragon
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM
I'm sad to hear you are going through this. Its a very difficult age we moved and.my 4 year old still misses his.old.house.and its been two years.
What do you need to get on your feet? What state are you headed to? There are hopefully services you can rely.on.

Please message me if you need some support.:) hugs. :(
Oceana09
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I lost my job January 2012 and my mom was helping me take care of my rent until I could find more work. Well I ended up getting pregnant and my mom decided that she was done paying my rent. She took DD for the summer as usual and while she was with my parents for the summer I had to move because  I couldn't pay the rent. When DD came back she no longer had a home, all of our things were in storage, and we were staying with a friend of mine that she didn't know. She didn't understand why we couldn't just "go home". It was terrible. She was turned 4 as well when all of this happened. I'm sorry and I hope the best for you. 

Oceana09
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Some hotels work with the city or state and provide help for those who are homeless (discounts and such) or at least here they do. The city would rather pay for a bunch of hotel rooms than get phone calls that homeless Jack is taking up space and freaking out the kids down at the park because he's sleeping on the bench. The other thing too, is I know when we were homeless, I could come up with the $600 to pay for a hotel room just fine and I could have came up with that for rent. HOWEVER, I couldn't come up with $600 for rent for the roof that was currently over our head PLUS the $600 for a new apartment plus a deposit and the last months rent which most places require. Not counting what our current rent is (which is $550) it would cost us at least $1500 to move into another apartment. Moving is freaking expensive. 

Quoting EvilAsh:

How can you afford a hotel but can't afford rent? Hotels are expensive as crap.

5PointedHuman
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

This is disgusting that you even have to be in this situation......

EvilAsh
by on May. 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I'm aware moving is expensive. We have been homeless and it sucked. We had a fire. There was no help for us. We paid over 400 a week for a double room, then we had to use a single bed room because it was too expensive and it was still 340 a week. We didn't stay more than a couple of months, definitely not our kids' whole lives. That's insane... I can't see wasting that much when we can find a place to rent way cheaper. 

Quoting Oceana09:

Some hotels work with the city or state and provide help for those who are homeless (discounts and such) or at least here they do. The city would rather pay for a bunch of hotel rooms than get phone calls that homeless Jack is taking up space and freaking out the kids down at the park because he's sleeping on the bench. The other thing too, is I know when we were homeless, I could come up with the $600 to pay for a hotel room just fine and I could have came up with that for rent. HOWEVER, I couldn't come up with $600 for rent for the roof that was currently over our head PLUS the $600 for a new apartment plus a deposit and the last months rent which most places require. Not counting what our current rent is (which is $550) it would cost us at least $1500 to move into another apartment. Moving is freaking expensive. 

Quoting EvilAsh:

How can you afford a hotel but can't afford rent? Hotels are expensive as crap.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

KiKi-Love
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Good Luck =/

randomosityblog
by on May. 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Tell him you are going somewhere better, if you are. But I don't understand how you can be homeless with a kid for 4 years?

ariel000000
by on May. 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this
How do you have internet miss homeless?
sorrow63
by New Member on May. 4, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Let me begin to say how loving you are . I can hear it in your words, you are so concerned for your child.  You are a good mom. I have three kids, went through divorce, and although was not homeless, I moved around a lot, despite my children's objections and fears.  Not fun.  Life was on the edge.  Since he is four,  his  being young is on your side.  he will take his cues from you.   So, if you can manage it, try to make this an adventure for him right now.  Try to find something that will create a fun situation.  I know it seems weird, but if he sees you upset and fearfull about what's happening, he will absorb that. Do you have any family that can help you?  What about getting a stuffed animal or toy that can give him a bit of security?  A blanket, anything that he can cuddle up with or enjoy.  To take the focus off the seriousness of the event.  Please keep in touch, let us know how you are doing.  I will pray for you. Ask for help, ask God to help you , and hug your son as often as possible.  A mothers love is a powerful thing.  Can I help you with an immediate need for now?  Let me know.

Sorrow63

Remy11
by on May. 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Realize that "homeless hotels" ate not hotels the way most will think of it.. We have them around here and they are not a hotel I would ever step foot in let alone my child.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN