Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Question...PIOG

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM
  • 13 Replies
My one and a half month d DS is exclusively BF and is gaining weight and doing well (has a little bit if a reflux issue, but other than that he is doing well).
I've noticed the last couple of days when I lay him down to change his diaper after he's been fed and burped (and sometimes spits up) he acts like he's gagging on something a tew seconds after laying there. I check his mouth and there's nothing expect maybe excess saliva and when I sit him up and pat his back he starts crying and it sounds like he's gulping down fluid. Any suggestions? I already have a doctors appointment set up, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:15 AM

It could be the reflux becoming more severe.  I know how it feels for an adult and before i was properly treated, i was constantly either swallowing excessive fluid or having to spit it out.

mna_823
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Thanks

Quoting frndlyfn:

It could be the reflux becoming more severe.  I know how it feels for an adult and before i was properly treated, i was constantly either swallowing excessive fluid or having to spit it out.

jconney80
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:07 AM
It could be reflux possibly. Whatever you do don't stop BF because food allergies could be the cause and hypoallergenic formula is so expensive. Breastmilk is the best for a food allergy baby. Hope you get it figured out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Don't lay him down until 20 minutes after he ate. That is the acid rising into his throat. Call the pediatrician for an evaluation.
mna_823
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:22 AM
I don't plan on stopping BF. I am determined, lol.

Quoting jconney80:

It could be reflux possibly. Whatever you do don't stop BF because food allergies could be the cause and hypoallergenic formula is so expensive. Breastmilk is the best for a food allergy baby. Hope you get it figured out.
wifeyladie
by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:22 AM

It sounds like his reflux is getting worse. I know that with both of my boys, they still had trouble even with being on meds. I finally got very frustrated at feeling like there was nothing I could think of/do to help them so I turned to google. I don't remember where I saw the suggestion, but something said to raise one side of their bed slightly. I was VERY leary of doing this so I tried waiting and then that night when he started having trouble again and nothing helped, I tried it. I don't remember what I used, but I do remember it was very small. I was amazed at the difference it made. I asked his pedi about it and she said that it seemed like it should be ok since it was working and it was only a very small incline it made. I also did diaper changes in the bed for a bit to see if that helped and it did. I was so relieved. I hope that helps, but please ask your pedi what they recommend is a safe height if you try it. I also remember another hint was to try and time diaper changes for right before feedings or as long after a feeding as possible since it would be easier on them when their stomach was either empty or as empty as possible. *hugs* mama. I remember the misery of watching my boys and feeling helpless.

mna_823
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Thanks, he's on medication for reflux now and I plan on bringing it up again at the next appointment.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Don't lay him down until 20 minutes after he ate. That is the acid rising into his throat. Call the pediatrician for an evaluation.
mna_823
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Thanks. I'm going to bring it up at his next appointment. I have a list I'm making so I make sure not to forget anything.

Quoting wifeyladie:

It sounds like his reflux is getting worse. I know that with both of my boys, they still had trouble even with being on meds. I finally got very frustrated at feeling like there was nothing I could think of/do to help them so I turned to google. I don't remember where I saw the suggestion, but something said to raise one side of their bed slightly. I was VERY leary of doing this so I tried waiting and then that night when he started having trouble again and nothing helped, I tried it. I don't remember what I used, but I do remember it was very small. I was amazed at the difference it made. I asked his pedi about it and she said that it seemed like it should be ok since it was working and it was only a very small incline it made. I also did diaper changes in the bed for a bit to see if that helped and it did. I was so relieved. I hope that helps, but please ask your pedi what they recommend is a safe height if you try it. I also remember another hint was to try and time diaper changes for right before feedings or as long after a feeding as possible since it would be easier on them when their stomach was either empty or as empty as possible. *hugs* mama. I remember the misery of watching my boys and feeling helpless.

Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:29 AM
The acid is burning his esophagus and can cause permanent damage. The doctor should be told the meds are not working right. Refluxing like this can cause stop breathing episodes. Its a big danger. I went through it with two of my children.

Quoting mna_823:

Thanks, he's on medication for reflux now and I plan on bringing it up again at the next appointment.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

mna_823
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:33 AM
I plan on telling the doctor. I am very worried about this and was just wondering if anyone else had gone through this.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

The acid is burning his esophagus and can cause permanent damage. The doctor should be told the meds are not working right. Refluxing like this can cause stop breathing episodes. Its a big danger. I went through it with two of my children.

Quoting mna_823:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN