Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

do you dye your young daughter's hair?

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • 39 Replies

do you put permanent hair color or even highlights in your dd's hair under the age of 13? 

I have seen girls as young as 4 and 5 with either highlights or permanent hair color on their hair and I personally just don't get it. the chemicals aren't good for them, and why alther their natural hair color at such a young age? 

for the record, I'm not bashing anyone. I truly want to understand the thought process. 

by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
harajukumoma
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I do my 5 y old dd with punky color streaks- that has 0 chemicals- I don't see a problem w it as long as there's no bad stuff in it
KelliansMom
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom used to let me do a Kool aid dye during the summer washes out with only a few washes. I will let my son do the same if he wanted or if I had a daughter. They also have vegetable dyes that are not harsh on your hair too.

LucyHarper
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:36 PM

No, I don't dye any of the kids hair, when they are 18 thats their choice, until then, no dye. Those chemicals are horrible for their hair and I believe in teaching my kids that they are fine just as they are born. I also personally think that unnatural colored hair or stripes in the hair looks dumb. There are plenty of other ways they can express themselves, through their actions, music, clothing, etc., then changing the color of their hair.

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:37 PM
I had highlights at 8.
KristenFowles
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:40 PM
I've used semi permanent pink and purple.. I'll cross the permanent road when she shows interest. Not sure when that will be or what I'll decide at this point.
Cubanmom84
by on May. 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I wouldn't do it or allow it until maybe 15. My mom died my hair black at the age of 13 .... and after adult hood I just stopped dyeing it, now is my natural hair color and I don't feel the need to change it.

arpazia
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM
I don't have a girl.
If I had one and that's why she wanted I would
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Not permanent. We have used colors that wash out before.

nissadawn
by on May. 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM

No i wouldn't change the color of a child's hair, I was in high school with my own job to pay for it myself before my parents let me. A teenager in jr high high school i could see...they want to, they beg to and i can see it within reason. But me and my ex husband had a huge ordeal 5 years ago because he was dating a girl who owned a salon and when my daughter came back from summer with dad had a new hair cut and highlights she was only 6 years old.. I blew up, i was pissed that some woman who wasn't married to BF never meet my kid before this visit  made the decision to cut and highlight my daughter's hair without even so much of a phone call...Everyone that knew me was shocked cause I'm typically a mellow person i don't tend to fight or argue but i bet at the time if my daughter had an allergic reaction to the bleach i probably would have spent the night in jail for beating a woman up LOL

alexis_06
by on May. 5, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

my daughter got this done to her hair when she was 7.  she absolutely loved it!! she just turned 9 last week, and with some of her bday money she got, she plans on getting her tips done purple... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN