Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Help from fish owners please!! (trying not to kill DD's new pet lol)

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM
  • 40 Replies

So we just got a gold fish.  We had fish before, but they were feeders for other pets so I was not that worried about keeping them alive for long. We have a just shy of 2 gallon tank with a filter (yes she will be getting a nice big tank, dont worry! She is only 1-1.5 inches right now). We used galloned water and used one of those purification tablets for good measure. We got the food that the lady at the petstore recommended. "She" keeps going to the top of the tank and doing this eating or gasping for air thing, and when I looked it up it said that it could be that she has too much ammonia in her water, but we JUST set it up today, so I dont see how she could have generated too much ammonia in a few hours. I have no freaking clue if this is normal for fish, but I DO know that DD will be absolutely devastated if this thing dies, so any advice is GREATLY appreciated! 

by on May. 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Edited by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2alissa
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM

This is her btw =)

RaineyLeigh
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:03 PM

We have two goldfish as well and they always do that! we have had them for over a year now and they are doing just fine. as long as you are keeping water clean and not feeding too much, fishy should be fine.

mommy2alissa
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Thanks =) 

Quoting RaineyLeigh:

We have two goldfish as well and they always do that! we have had them for over a year now and they are doing just fine. as long as you are keeping water clean and not feeding too much, fishy should be fine.

augsmom
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:17 PM

You can get a PH tester at the pet store?

AllofFive19
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM

We had a fish that did it, too. If you're too concerned you can get a ph tester like a pp suggested.

Tipsen
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Get a ph tester. The tank is probably started cycling. I don't know exactly how long it would take a tank of that size to cycle but it took my 375 gallon almost 3 months. I would say for a tank that size a week to a month to fully cycle.
BeachMommy07
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

oh no. are the rocks new then too? did you rinse them with the gallon water? tanks generally need a good 24 hours

LittleCondon
by on May. 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Whenever we had goldfish we didn't have a filtered tank at all. Just a bowl. Ours lived for about 2 years -- just fed them a pinch of food once a day and cleaned their tank about every other week. Did you transfer the fish right away? Or let the water it was in adjust to the temp. of the water in the tank? All I could really think of that could have gone wrong. Sorry.

toopicky429
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:05 PM
This is the same for us, and our oldest goldfish is 6 years old. The other three are 4 years old. They've always been weird, lol. Our one fish is belly up almost every day, but he's still here.

Quoting RaineyLeigh:

mommy2alissa
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Yes, yes, and we set it up lastnight, so I am hoping it was OK by this afternoon. 

Quoting BeachMommy07:

oh no. are the rocks new then too? did you rinse them with the gallon water? tanks generally need a good 24 hours

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN