Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What grade would you think these vocab words belong in. edit and apology for the delay.

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What grade level

Options:

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

middle school

high school/SAT

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 102

View Results

Okay the words are:

ordeal                   garb                  abiding             pummeled           skivvy

umbrage            blithely               rancid           resonated         discerning

I thought some of them were a little much... but maybe that's me.

Many of you were right on the money with 3rd grade.  My ds is not having an issue with them (thank God he doesn't have to spell them) I just thought they would be a higher grade.  More like middle school.  But then again I went to school in the 80's.  The rigor was different, not nec. less but a diff focus.

by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
Big_Momma_X02
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I was going to vote this too,my son is a 3rd grader and my daughter is a 1st grader and I have never seen them come home with these words.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

I voted middle school. Way off from most of you ladies lol!

sherry132
by Sherry on May. 6, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I said third grade, but then we use several of those words and my kids have very large vocabularies. 

RoseWall
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:51 AM

i said fourth. all my kids have always had advanced  larger vocabularies.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on May. 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Garb just means clothing, pretty much.

Quoting Seagodess:

What is GARB? I looked it up, but am only finding something about Scottish clothing. That doesn't sound like something that should be in a elementary schools vocabulary. Actually looking at the list, all of them seem kind of strange. I'm 30 years old and never used most of those and have only used the others maybe a handful of times.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ImNotKarl
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:55 AM

You should update with the grade they actually are. I guessed 3rd grade.

MusherMaggie
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Part of the reason some people don't recognize them is that newspapers & magazines are so "dumbed down" in the vocabulary that is used. No one reads classic literature any more.
URHonor
by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM
3rd
URHonor
by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM
The NY Times is written on a 9th grade level. Most local papers are on a 6th.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Part of the reason some people don't recognize them is that newspapers & magazines are so "dumbed down" in the vocabulary that is used. No one reads classic literature any more.
goldilocksbecky
by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I taught 2nd grade for 13 years.  I'd say 2nd or 3rd grade, give or take (meaning they could possibly  also be 1st grade for a high reading group).

Several of you mentioned that "there's no way my 3rd (or whatever) grader would know those words" . . . which kind of misses the point.  The teacher who assigned them isn't saying that the child in that grade should already know those words, but that they will learn them, most likely in the context of a book that they are studying.  There wouldn't be much point in assigning them words that they already know. 

And keep in mind that a different kid, in a different class (school, state) might not be learning those same exact words, but would be learning words of a similar level that were relevant to a book that they were studying.

MamiJaAyla
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM

It is 3rd grade.  But I just remember these as being higher.  I read them to my bro who actually studied vocab books at one point to help him with reading and he remembered them as in middle school.  Of course we went to school in the 80's when things were a little diff.

Yeah, they are reading Edward Tulaine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)