Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

SAHM's: Do you have access? EXTRA ADDED (MORE) *? ADDED -UPDATE-

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:14 PM
  • 240 Replies
2 moms liked this

To DH's money?

I am new at Staying home with the kids.
Dh takes his bank card to work with him, so I have no money to go anywhere without him. If I as him for money, he looks at me weird, like I am spending every bit of it.
I should just go back to work, so that I have my own money.

ADDED: I have a delinquent account with another bank. About a year ago, when dh got his checking account, we tried to get a joint, but I owe over $300. I haven't had the cash to pay it off.
The accountant at his bank told me that I basically am not allowed to access the money in his account and even had to sign a form stating that I would not access it.
MORE: DH doesn't view his paycheck as his money, he sees it as our money, but I have no way to access his account unless he is home and asks me to take out money at the ATM. He doesn't give me an "allowance", so right now, I have no money to go anywhere if I needed to. When he comes home from work, that is usually the time I tell him I need something or he will tell me to go to the store to get something.

*Does anyone know any good Budgeting Apps for iPhone? I just saw EEBA in a search engine and am wondering what is a great app to use.

-I talked to DH today about budgeting our money. I had a box of envelopes, so I looked into the envelope budgeting method. I went over with him, what I thought everything would cost and even included a monthly allowance for myself and an envelope for monthly savings. Since this months bills and groceries are taken care of, we will start this method next month. We both do not want any unnecessary impulse spending, so hopefully we can start this and stick with it. I still wont have access to his account unless it is the 1st of the month and we take out what the envelopes need.
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM
2 moms liked this
We share an account so we both have access to our money.
catrig
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM
3 moms liked this

If he's being like that you should go back to work.

jillbailey26
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM
9 moms liked this

It's not HIS money, it's OUR money.  Yes, I have access to it.  I pay the bills, do all of the grocery shopping and pay for whatever else needs to be paid for.  I couldn't be a SAHM with a husband that wouldn't give me access to the bank account.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:17 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes....its our money. I keep the budget and pay the bills. I do all the shopping and childcare. Me having to ask him would be just crazy.
Miller0305
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Of course. I have access to all accounts and spend/ take what I need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rosebud27aj
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Yep, we share money...I usually take care of all the bills, shopping and whatever else we need...

xLilBit22
by La Melodia on May. 5, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, i do even before pregnancy bc we dont have kids. He works i pay the bills etc. This must be new to him or just plain greedy. In my opinion. & i dont ask for money usually he just gives it to me or gives me the card.
cowgirls10181
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM
We share it, sorry no help bump.
eve210
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes I do. Its OUR money, not HIS
That's not right. You shouldn't have to ask
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM

It's OUR money, so no I don't have to ask for access to any of it. It seems very strange that you wouldn't have your own bank card for the account.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)