Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Sports/extra activities

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:59 PM
  • 9 Replies

SIL always signs her kids up for programs that have practice multiple times a week, plus games every weekend. If they miss 1 practice during the week, they cant be in the following game. She even convinced her sister  to sign up her DS (7). He had practice 3 nights a week, plus games. He basically had to come home from school and eat right away so he wasn't going on a full stomach. He didn't get home from practice until 7:30-8pm, so he had to go right to bed. 

DS's soccer coach's DD (7) does 4 different sports/activities that i know of, plus her DS plays a couple different things as well. Pretty much every day/night they have practices or games. 

I dont think I would ever allow my child to do that much stuff. For one, I want my child to have down time and not be going going going every single day. I also want him to have time from friends, homework, family and such. And for second, I dont want to be running all over the state all the time to take him to these places.

Do your kids play sports/activities? Do you have a limit of how many they can do?

by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM
I used to say they could only do one at a time.

Then DS tried out for and made the travel baseball team. After he made the team I found out he also had to be on an in-house team so that was 4 games a week and some practices. This year it's a game during the early week and one Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Travel season is almost over and the team has a few tournaments before the big one in Cooperstown in July.

DD takes dance from Sept to May. It's only an hour so she plays a sport each season too. Now she's in soccer and had 2 practices a week and a game on Saturdays. Practices end this week.

It can be a lot of running around but I don't sign them up for anything in the summer except for camp so we relax then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Both of our kids are in baseball right now. They both have 2 games during the week. Some weeks their games are on the same nights so I go to one and DH goes to the other. Some weeks DS plays on M/W and DD plays on T/Th so we are going each evening. They both are in scouts too so if we aren't at a game on Monday for DS or Tuesday for DD then we go to scouts. It sounds like a lot, but this is only for 2 months out of the year. DS is going to quit scouts and picl up football in the fall, DD will probably stay in scouts and just do that until softball next spring. They still get plenty of outside time!

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on May. 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

my daughter (grade 3) only gets to be in one at a time, because she struggles with school...so we need to make sure we stay focused on that first!!

honey27
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM
I have 3 kids they all play different sports so Me and hubby are at practice and games atleast 3 times a week for an hour
Seagodess
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I wouldn't like having games during the week on school nights. They are always at like 6pm, have to quicky eat dinner first and you dont even get home until 7-8pm and then they have to take a shower. DS's bedtime is 7:30-8pm so it would be really pushing it. I guess it might be different when he gets older, but for now no way.

Quoting sarah824:

Both of our kids are in baseball right now. They both have 2 games during the week. Some weeks their games are on the same nights so I go to one and DH goes to the other. Some weeks DS plays on M/W and DD plays on T/Th so we are going each evening. They both are in scouts too so if we aren't at a game on Monday for DS or Tuesday for DD then we go to scouts. It sounds like a lot, but this is only for 2 months out of the year. DS is going to quit scouts and picl up football in the fall, DD will probably stay in scouts and just do that until softball next spring. They still get plenty of outside time!

sarah824
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Our games are done by 7:30 and then we come home and eat dinner. usually something quick, chicken with rice, salads, etc., then shower and bed. They are in bed by 8:30 which is their normal bedtime anyhow. Works for us. They are 5 and 8. 

Quoting Seagodess:

I wouldn't like having games during the week on school nights. They are always at like 6pm, have to quicky eat dinner first and you dont even get home until 7-8pm and then they have to take a shower. DS's bedtime is 7:30-8pm so it would be really pushing it. I guess it might be different when he gets older, but for now no way.

Quoting sarah824:

NDADanceMom
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM

My youngest is a competitive dancer.  She dances every week night, other than wednesay.  She gets home at 8:30 at night and does not eat at home, she eats a bag lunch on her dinner break.  On the weekends she is at dance competitions, or she is at a convention for dance.  She takes dance lessons from celebrities.  Here is a picture of her with the guy who starred in the new footloose and the guy who starred in step up revolution.  (my daughter is in white)

elite sports of any kind require a great deal of time and it takes a certain kind of kid to do it.  My daughter is free to quit at anytime.  She has done nothing but dance for years, she has competed since she was 7 and is now 11.  She has been dancing since before she turned 3.  

I do think its extreme, none of my other kids would do it but there is no half way in competitive dance.  Go big or go home.  

ScrChk23
by Amanda on May. 6, 2013 at 10:27 AM

My son does hockey.  That is it right now.  When he gets into school, we may allow him to play a fall sport and a spring sport.  I always did.  His hockey has been from September to now, so he may not have time for another sport.  He is 5.

juju40
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM

my 11 year old daughter is in soccer we have practice two or three times a week ...sometimes our  games are during the week and on weekends..we have two more games and then she's going into indoor soccer...my daughter comes home eats a snack does her HM then off to practice or game....my youngest son (17) is also in soccer ,band and cheerleading so yes we're busy busy parents...keeps my kids out of trouble.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)