Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Am I being over sensitive ? :(

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:09 AM
  • 15 Replies
Hi my son dani is 12 and iv always kept him away from fizzy drinks/ soft drinks. He was lactose intolerant for a long time and had other issues so iv worked v hard to build healthy eating habits for him. Today he told me tht his dad made him try a couple of sips of a certain soft drink .. For some reason it really flustered me. I might be over reacting but why don't fathers realise how hard mums work towards their child's health
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KendallsMommee
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Does his Dad live in the home with you?
Seagodess
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM
2 moms liked this

MADE him try?? As in forced him? Or asked if he wanted to? I think if he did it forcibly then its not ok, but if he asked, maybe even gave a little nudge saying its ok than its not a big deal. Its great that you are trying to teach him good eating habits, but he's getting to the age where he's going to be having more choices when he isn't around you. Sometimes he's going to pick the good stuff because thats what you taught him and other times he's going to want to just have a soda or something. I think you need to take a step back and let him start deciding a little.

Moans
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:16 AM
No we've bn separated fr some time now but he knows how strongly I feel abt this! My son said his father told him not to tell me abt this
Moans
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM
@ seagodess- humm I agree with u too..thts wht I told my son .. Tht as a parent I can only guide n educate u but eventually he will hav to make his own choices ... I guess it's tough to let go Whn kids r growin up
TrouserMouse
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Lactose intolerance doesn't really have anything to do with pop.  I feel kids should be taught all things in moderation.  Banning foods isn't teaching them anything.  Teaching them that a little every once in awhile is okay is how they learn to limit themselves.

Seagodess
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I agree with this 100%

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Lactose intolerance doesn't really have anything to do with pop.  I feel kids should be taught all things in moderation.  Banning foods isn't teaching them anything.  Teaching them that a little every once in awhile is okay is how they learn to limit themselves.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Often, Moms are a bit over-sheltering, and Dads encourage them to open up a little.

I'm not saying what he did was right.  But your boy IS 12, right?  It's time to let him start making a few of his own decisions, and Dad might be more aware of this than you.  You can teach him all you want about why certain things should be in moderation, what is good for him and what is bad, etc.  But when he's with Dad, they will make their own decisions.

As long as it isn't HARMFUL, then it's a pick your battles scenario.  

Moans
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:24 AM
:) yes I know it doesn't hav anything with lactose intolerance but as I mentioned he's had other issues as well.
glitterlove100
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:26 AM

First off good for you for trying to teach good eating and drinking habits to your son!! But he is 12 Unless his dad held a gun to his head he didnt make or force him to try it. He could have said no. As for dads dont realize thing. Me and my dh work our butts off to make sure ss's 7 and 9 eat correctly no sugar and crap foods. Bm doesnt care what they eat so i understand your frustration. Unless it was beer or something horrible like that i wouldnt stress about it.

alexis_06
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:26 AM

yes i think you are being to over sensitive.  there's a huge difference between having a few sips...and drinking 2L a day...you need to be able to trust the fact that you taught him the right choices..i dont agree on the dad saying not to tell you tho..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN