Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

PREGNANCY! And all that comes with it!

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:51 AM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Me, nor my fiancé, we're supposed to have children. I'm 6 months pregnant!!! Never cared to learn much about pregnancy, for the lack of reason thereof. However, being that I will soon be the momma of a baby girl, I want to know as much about pregnancy & labor, as possible! ANYTHING you'd like to share, I want to hear it! Complications with reasoning, cute wives tales, funny ultrasound pictures, etc. Oh, & is a ton of soreness normal at 24 weeks? My lower tummy, cookie, & upper thighs are extremely sore lol
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

yeah fairly normal after all those muscles are being used in a a way they never have before.... a note on labor... braxtin hicks contractions can get quite regular and intense...

Korileighsmomma
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Oh really? I'm glad it's normal! Thank you for replying, btw! Braxton Hicks contractions?? Lord, help me!!! What's that? And can you explain, in detail, what any contractions feel like?
Big_Momma_X02
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this

First off congratulations on your pregnancy....

My first pregnancy was not good,I had a few bouts of morning sickness but only a few when I ate things that did not agree with the baby,I ate a lot of junk food and used the excuse the baby likes it,I gained way to much weight,When I was 6 weeks pregnant*I had no idea*,I found out because I had a seizure when I was on a outing with a friend on a city bus,they needed to do a cat scan at the hospital and asked if I was pregnant,I said I don't know,well suprise,I was 6 weeks pregnant it took them forver to find my babies heartbeat,I was almost in tears,then I finally heard that lovely sound...I had another seizure and required 2 blood transfusions and was put on iron meds,seizure meds and prenatal pills,my Child stopped growing in my womb and when he was born,full term,he was only 4 pounds 15 ounces,He stayed in the special care nursery for 2 weeks,I visited him multiple times a day to feed him and I broke down crying a few times....

My second pregnancy was no picnic either,I had this nasty stomach virus for 2 weeks at the start of my pregnancy,I ate a lot healthier and didn't gain much weight,when she was born,induction at 39 weeks,hear heartbeat went down and she had meconuim at birth,however she was completely healthy 8 pounds 1 ounce....

My son is 8 1/2 now and my daughter is 7...I would love to be able to give birth to another child...

Oh my labor with my first child  started at 6PM and he was born at 11PM

My second child,induction,was started at 1PM and she was born at 11PM

All births/pregnancies are different

When are you due ?.

jojo_star
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, those pains are normal! Along with having delivered a healthy baby boy, I'm also a labor and delivery nurse, so if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them, message me any time! Pregnancy is such a broad topic to cover, so I won't even try here, but anything specific, I'd be happy to answer! One thing I will say though, educate yourself. Read every pregnancy, labor and delivery, and parenting book you can, take all the prenatal and breastfeeding classes you can, and then decide for yourself what you want and what will work for your family. 

Big_Momma_X02
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I had those with my 2ncd pregnancy,I thought I was in labor,I even went to the Hospital,I also had swollen feet.

Quoting Korileighsmomma:

Oh really? I'm glad it's normal! Thank you for replying, btw! Braxton Hicks contractions?? Lord, help me!!! What's that? And can you explain, in detail, what any contractions feel like?

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Can't help there. BUMP

jojo_star
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Braxton hicks are practice contractions. They usually start around 28 weeks, but can start earlier, later, or never, not all women have them. They are normal, and can be painful, or just a tightening in your belly, or can cause back pain. If you are worried that it is real labor, drink several tall glasses of water and lay down, BH will go away with that most of the time, and they are not regular and won't cause any cervical change. Real contractions can feel like anything from extreme menstrual cramps, to severe lower back pain, to a ripping pain through your entire belly and back. No two women describe them quite the same. They are regular though, and will get stronger and more frequent as time goes on, and won't go away with laying down and hydrating. It is always better to be safe rather than sorry, so if you are having contractions at any time and think it may be the real deal, go in to labor and delivery and be checked. 

Quoting Korileighsmomma:

Korileighsmomma
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:34 AM
First off, thank you so much for the reply. Secondly, I want to say I'm sorry for what you went through. When I was born, I weighed 4lbs 12oz. Luckily, my husband to be, was almost 11lbs. Maybe my ill girl will meet in the middle lol. I have had the WORST morning sickness! Up until about a week ago, I had it every single day, ALL day! I had lost weight. I'm 24 weeks and have now gained 9lbs. Should be about 16lbs they say... It's not so bad lately, thank goodness! It sounds like you truly love your children. I admire that. I had my high grade pre-cancer cells removed on Dec 4 & found out I was preggo on Jan 14. My precancer is back, but not bad yet, I also have Endometriosis & polycystic ovaries. Not to mention, 2 bulging disks, 1 herniated, & bones spurs pressed against my sciatic nerve root. I'll be 25 on the 11th of this month lol so, I'm hurting from head-to-toe!!! I'm due August 22nd, btw.

Quoting Big_Momma_X02:

First off congratulations on your pregnancy....

My first pregnancy was not good,I had a few bouts of morning sickness but only a few when I ate things that did not agree with the baby,I ate a lot of junk food and used the excuse the baby likes it,I gained way to much weight,When I was 6 weeks pregnant*I had no idea*,I found out because I had a seizure when I was on a outing with a friend on a city bus,they needed to do a cat scan at the hospital and asked if I was pregnant,I said I don't know,well suprise,I was 6 weeks pregnant it took them forver to find my babies heartbeat,I was almost in tears,then I finally heard that lovely sound...I had another seizure and required 2 blood transfusions and was put on iron meds,seizure meds and prenatal pills,my Child stopped growing in my womb and when he was born,full term,he was only 4 pounds 15 ounces,He stayed in the special care nursery for 2 weeks,I visited him multiple times a day to feed him and I broke down crying a few times....

My second pregnancy was no picnic either,I had this nasty stomach virus for 2 weeks at the start of my pregnancy,I ate a lot healthier and didn't gain much weight,when she was born,induction at 39 weeks,hear heartbeat went down and she had meconuim at birth,however she was completely healthy 8 pounds 1 ounce....

My son is 8 1/2 now and my daughter is 7...I would love to be able to give birth to another child...

Oh my labor with my first child  started at 6PM and he was born at 11PM

My second child,induction,was started at 1PM and she was born at 11PM

All births/pregnancies are different

When are you due ?.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this

braxtin hicks are basically your body's way of getting ready for labor...they don't hurt very much just feel like you stomach clenching... much like early stage labor... but it does feel different. labor gets painful as it progresses but at first it is just really intense muscle clenches

Quoting Korileighsmomma:

Korileighsmomma
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Oh, okay. So, I'll def know when I'm having any contractions? Is it okay if the baby stays active? I know that may be a considerably petty question, but my ill girl is a hyper tail! Always knocking down walls haha. AND kicks the crap outta my bladder, or so I think that's what's happening! It feels like she's jabbing it! It's real quick, BUT painful! It burns soon bad.

Quoting jojo_star:

Braxton hicks are practice contractions. They usually start around 28 weeks, but can start earlier, later, or never, not all women have them. They are normal, and can be painful, or just a tightening in your belly, or can cause back pain. If you are worried that it is real labor, drink several tall glasses of water and lay down, BH will go away with that most of the time, and they are not regular and won't cause any cervical change. Real contractions can feel like anything from extreme menstrual cramps, to severe lower back pain, to a ripping pain through your entire belly and back. No two women describe them quite the same. They are regular though, and will get stronger and more frequent as time goes on, and won't go away with laying down and hydrating. It is always better to be safe rather than sorry, so if you are having contractions at any time and think it may be the real deal, go in to labor and delivery and be checked. 

Quoting Korileighsmomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN