Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Marriage by magistrate

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 6:52 AM
  • 14 Replies
We're doing that whole courthouse wedding thing in large part due to finances. Don't get me wrong I don't mind, I don't even know enough people for a church wedding. I'm just wondering how much does the magistrate cost? What should I wear? What should I expect?
by on May. 6, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on May. 6, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Congratulations! I suggest wearing something nice and maybe go out for a fancy lunch or dinner afterwards. To find out the cost, try calling town hall.
Best wishes to you!!:)
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 7:42 AM

I've seen some courthouse weddings. They came dressed up in a bridal gown and tux.  I would think a very nice dress.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM

It varies.  I've seen people dress anywhere from jeans and tees to nice dresses and suits to fancy wedding gowns and tuxes.

I think it's usually right around $50 or so, but I'm not entirely sure.  You should be able to call your county courthouse to find out.

BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Ours was about $45/$50

I wore a casual white dress
Dh wore white button up and khakis. Ss wore the same and dd 1 wore white tank and khaki skirt
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Congratulations!
Wear what you want  .. hope you can go out after to a nice meal.
Give them a call to see how much i will be.
Enjoy :)

elasmimi
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I have no idea about the cost. I would just wear a nice dressy dress, and maybe even a small bunch of flowers. You can expect a simple, non religious ceremony that should only take a few minutes. If you don't have someone to serve as witnesses, they will usually provide some employees. Congratulations.

jconney80
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Every place is different! Congrats and good luck! Just wear some nice dressy clothes

HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM

all total rings and magistrate and a good dinner you should get out of there for $150.00 and still have some cash!

angiewith2
by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Not sure where you  live.  We got married by a JP at our local magistrate's office.  I'm in Pennsylvania (it might even vary per county, I'm not sure) but I don't remember having to pay anything.  We had to pay for our Marriage license but that's all I remember.  I just got married about 5 yrs ago so it wasn't really all that long ago

Oh and as far as what to wear, it's totally up to you.  I just bought a white and silver dress from the mall.  Nothing super fancy but I've heard of people just getting married in jeans and I've heard of some that actually wore a wedding dress.  We just had immediate family and went to dinner at Hoss's with everyone after.  

The ceremony didn't take too long.  We did a ring exchange, I remember the typical "do you promise to" questions. It was nice and non-stressful.

ttsmommy2008
by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM
We did the same thing this past Friday! ;-)
In our opinion, Weddings are an event planned for everyone else, and we don't care about having some fancy-schmancy wedding.
We went to the courthouse, paid $56 for the license and $10 for our copy of the marriage certificate. We were just wearing our normal everyday clothes.
Hey, WE were (and are) incredibly happy to be married, no matter how we did it...and that's all that really matters!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)