Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Growing your own food. Anyone else?

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM
  • 75 Replies
3 moms liked this

I've decided to grow my own food. I planted a huge garden. My plan is to can enough vegetables that I won't have to buy canned goods during the winter. And sell any extra. I also have chickens, I started small with 35 chicken. I will butcher the roosters for meat, and keep the hens for eggs. I plan on getting goats within the next few months to raise for milk, and meat. If I can get this going, then all I would need to buy at the store would be bread and fruit. 

I want to see your gardens!

For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LavenderMom23
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM
I've started tomatoes and lavender. If it goes well ...cucumbers next year and blueberries
mommyakabooby
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I absolutely love lavender! So do my chickens, I put it in their nesting boxes and it smells so good! I planted blueberries for the first time this year. I hope they make it. 

Quoting LavenderMom23:

I've started tomatoes and lavender. If it goes well ...cucumbers next year and blueberries

For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
youngmotherof1
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM
I am growing cabbage,onions, tomatoes and jalapenos
mommyof2boys799
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM

this is my 3rd year gardening since i have had my own family ( i grew up with gardening) my kids have major allergies and oldest son has ticks so natural is the way to go and saves sooo much money!!! for the early spring crop i planted onions broccoli lettuce spinach peas carrots and beets!!!! i cant wait for the rest of the garden!!!!

deadlights86
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I don't have a picture handy but I have 1 raised bed and one normal bed. We are doing square foot gardening in the raised bed and the other one is for whatever is left over. We have tomatoes zuchini squash radishes carrots spinach bell peppers lettuce red cabbage swiss chard snow peas normal peas cucumbers acorn squash potatoes mint and strawberries.

Britty1987
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM
This is my 1st year gardening and we haven't planted yet. But I've been reading and reading... I can't wait! We also have chickens but only 4. Any gardening advice?
Mommyof1_2013
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM
We have a garden going at my BF's house. We have carrots, corn, onions, tomatoes (cherry and regular) sweet peppers, cucumber, green beans and squash. We were gonna plant more but ran out of room. My bf is am avid hunter and fisher so a lot of the meat we eat we don't pay for. I absolutely love it and can't wait til we move and have more space. We want to get chickens for fresh eggs. And do a bigger garden. My plan is to can them also. Good luck!!
hautemama83
by Nichole on May. 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
We do. So far in our garden we have -
Corn
Peas
Tomatoes
Potatoes
Zucchini
Cucumber
Spaghetti squash
Yellow squash
Onions
Radishes
Carrot
Sweet peppers
Bell peppers
stevia
Watermelon
Asparagus
Brussel sprouts
Strawberries
blueberries
And black berries

We already have 50+ chickens. Roosters are for meat, and we have laying ducks too. I also have a full herb garden.
Big_Momma_X02
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I would LOVE to be able to do this,it would be so much healthier

Big_Momma_X02
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow that all sounds so good!!

Quoting hautemama83:

We do. So far in our garden we have -
Corn
Peas
Tomatoes
Potatoes
Zucchini
Cucumber
Spaghetti squash
Yellow squash
Onions
Radishes
Carrot
Sweet peppers
Bell peppers
stevia
Watermelon
Asparagus
Brussel sprouts
Strawberries
blueberries
And black berries

We already have 50+ chickens. Roosters are for meat, and we have laying ducks too. I also have a full herb garden.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)