Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Growing your own food. Anyone else?

Posted by   + Show Post

I've decided to grow my own food. I planted a huge garden. My plan is to can enough vegetables that I won't have to buy canned goods during the winter. And sell any extra. I also have chickens, I started small with 35 chicken. I will butcher the roosters for meat, and keep the hens for eggs. I plan on getting goats within the next few months to raise for milk, and meat. If I can get this going, then all I would need to buy at the store would be bread and fruit. 

I want to see your gardens!

For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
cookierode
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:02 PM
I live in east oakland and have some potted plants on my porch. Radish, carrots, mint, tomato, cilantro, peppers, basil, and squash which im going to have to make vertical lol. This is my first year.
hautemama83
by Nichole on May. 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Its a lot of work at first. But well worth it imo. Hopefully by summer we'll be able to get a hog and a turkey too. Also for food.

Quoting Big_Momma_X02:

Wow that all sounds so good!!

Quoting hautemama83:

We do. So far in our garden we have -

Corn

Peas

Tomatoes

Potatoes

Zucchini

Cucumber

Spaghetti squash

Yellow squash

Onions

Radishes

Carrot

Sweet peppers

Bell peppers

stevia

Watermelon

Asparagus

Brussel sprouts

Strawberries

blueberries

And black berries

We already have 50+ chickens. Roosters are for meat, and we have laying ducks too. I also have a full herb garden.

justahousewife
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Homegrown food is my favorite hobby. :-) Dairy goats for butter, cheese, ice cream, yogurt, meat and such. Chickens, turkeys and geese for eggs and meat. Large garden every year and cool crops in between. And a greenhouse growing subtropical plants for future food. :-)
ColieO
by I Rock on May. 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM
We have 5 hens for eggs and 3 gardens. Herbs and vegetables. We also have a cherry tree, plum and oar
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyakabooby
by Tree Charmer on May. 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM

That's almost everything I've planted, except the stevia. I had planned on buying seeds online. But I ended up buying from the local feed store. Where did you find your stevia?

Quoting hautemama83:

Corn
Peas
Tomatoes
Potatoes
Zucchini
Cucumber
Spaghetti squash
Yellow squash
Onions
Radishes
Carrot
Sweet peppers
Bell peppers
stevia
Watermelon
Asparagus
Brussel sprouts
Strawberries
blueberries
And black berries

We already have 50+ chickens. Roosters are for meat, and we have laying ducks too. I also have a full herb garden.

– Ralph Waldo Emerson
hautemama83
by Nichole on May. 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM
I ordered them online from parkseeds.com. So far I have three plants, and they're doing great. But I should add they're not actually in my garden lol. I keep them potted and inside. I've read they go best that way, and make really nice house plants as well.

Quoting mommyakabooby:

That's almost everything I've planted, except the stevia. I had planned on buying seeds online. But I ended up buying from the local feed store. Where did you find your stevia?

Quoting hautemama83:

Corn

Peas

Tomatoes

Potatoes

Zucchini

Cucumber

Spaghetti squash

Yellow squash

Onions

Radishes

Carrot

Sweet peppers

Bell peppers

stevia

Watermelon

Asparagus

Brussel sprouts

Strawberries

blueberries

And black berries

mommyakabooby
by Tree Charmer on May. 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM

The one thing I would have done different is I would not have tilled the soil. It ended up just chopping all the Bermuda grass into little bitty tubers, and it is impossible to pull it all out now. I spend at least two hour a day trying to get all the Bermuda out of my beds. Four chickens is sufficient for a family. It should give you enough eggs for your family, and extra to sell. If their hens that is. 

Quoting Britty1987:

This is my 1st year gardening and we haven't planted yet. But I've been reading and reading... I can't wait! We also have chickens but only 4. Any gardening advice?

– Ralph Waldo Emerson
ColieO
by I Rock on May. 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM
We have 5 hens for eggs and 3 gardens. Herbs and vegetables. We also have a cherry tree, plum and pear. I already have my herbs planted. Chives, savory, cilantro, Rosemary, basil, lavender, oregano, thyme, garlic, and a few others.

I also have watermelon, 12 types of tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash,zucchini, peas, beans, pumpkins, corn, brussel.sprouts, 4 different lettuces, cabbage, spinach, Tomatillo, bell peppers, hot peppers, and a bunch of other stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyakabooby
by Tree Charmer on May. 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM

That's awesome! That's exactly what I'm working having eventually. 

Quoting justahousewife:

Homegrown food is my favorite hobby. :-) Dairy goats for butter, cheese, ice cream, yogurt, meat and such. Chickens, turkeys and geese for eggs and meat. Large garden every year and cool crops in between. And a greenhouse growing subtropical plants for future food. :-)

– Ralph Waldo Emerson
momof2891
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:15 PM
I am planting corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, carrots and beets this year. My kids love helping me and they love watching everything grow.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)