Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Growing your own food. Anyone else?

Posted by   + Show Post

I've decided to grow my own food. I planted a huge garden. My plan is to can enough vegetables that I won't have to buy canned goods during the winter. And sell any extra. I also have chickens, I started small with 35 chicken. I will butcher the roosters for meat, and keep the hens for eggs. I plan on getting goats within the next few months to raise for milk, and meat. If I can get this going, then all I would need to buy at the store would be bread and fruit. 

I want to see your gardens!

For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Replies (21-30):
ColieO
by I Rock on May. 6, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I got stevia this year on a whim lol. I don't even know what to do with it but was like oooo cool.

Quoting hautemama83:

I ordered them online from parkseeds.com. So far I have three plants, and they're doing great. But I should add they're not actually in my garden lol. I keep them potted and inside. I've read they go best that way, and make really nice house plants as well.

Quoting mommyakabooby:

That's almost everything I've planted, except the stevia. I had planned on buying seeds online. But I ended up buying from the local feed store. Where did you find your stevia?

Quoting hautemama83:

We do. So far in our garden we have -

Corn

Peas

Tomatoes

Potatoes

Zucchini

Cucumber

Spaghetti squash

Yellow squash

Onions

Radishes

Carrot

Sweet peppers

Bell peppers

stevia

Watermelon

Asparagus

Brussel sprouts

Strawberries

blueberries

And black berries

We already have 50+ chickens. Roosters are for meat, and we have laying ducks too. I also have a full herb garden.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyakabooby
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I have herbs as well, but I planted them in my vegetable garden. I'm trying the companion planting this year. 

Quoting ColieO:

We have 5 hens for eggs and 3 gardens. Herbs and vegetables. We also have a cherry tree, plum and pear. I already have my herbs planted. Chives, savory, cilantro, Rosemary, basil, lavender, oregano, thyme, garlic, and a few others.

I also have watermelon, 12 types of tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash,zucchini, peas, beans, pumpkins, corn, brussel.sprouts, 4 different lettuces, cabbage, spinach, Tomatillo, bell peppers, hot peppers, and a bunch of other stuff.

– Ralph Waldo Emerson
ColieO
by I Rock on May. 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM
I mixed a couple things in like kale and i might put a couple tomato plants there. It just doesn't get the greatest sun.

Quoting mommyakabooby:

I have herbs as well, but I planted them in my vegetable garden. I'm trying the companion planting this year. 

Quoting ColieO:

We have 5 hens for eggs and 3 gardens. Herbs and vegetables. We also have a cherry tree, plum and pear. I already have my herbs planted. Chives, savory, cilantro, Rosemary, basil, lavender, oregano, thyme, garlic, and a few others.

I also have watermelon, 12 types of tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash,zucchini, peas, beans, pumpkins, corn, brussel.sprouts, 4 different lettuces, cabbage, spinach, Tomatillo, bell peppers, hot peppers, and a bunch of other stuff.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyakabooby
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM

That's where I was planning on ordering my seeds from. But my cart ended up being over 200$. Then I found a sale at the feed store, last years seeds for .50 cents. Sooo much cheaper, but they didn't have the stevia. :(

Quoting hautemama83:

I ordered them online from parkseeds.com. So far I have three plants, and they're doing great. But I should add they're not actually in my garden lol. I keep them potted and inside. I've read they go best that way, and make really nice house plants as well.

Quoting mommyakabooby:

That's almost everything I've planted, except the stevia. I had planned on buying seeds online. But I ended up buying from the local feed store. Where did you find your stevia?

Quoting hautemama83:

We do. So far in our garden we have -

Corn

Peas

Tomatoes

Potatoes

Zucchini

Cucumber

Spaghetti squash

Yellow squash

Onions

Radishes

Carrot

Sweet peppers

Bell peppers

stevia

Watermelon

Asparagus

Brussel sprouts

Strawberries

blueberries

And black berries

We already have 50+ chickens. Roosters are for meat, and we have laying ducks too. I also have a full herb garden.

– Ralph Waldo Emerson
CasandraFinlay
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Our city garden. Tomatoes, green bell peppers, green bean bushes, squash, and celery (pinterest experiment).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by I Rock on May. 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Here's 4 of my 5 girls. Queen Elinor is the black one, the Red is either Flora or Fauna, the black and white with her head in the dish is Merryweather and the one in the back is Betsey Ross. I have another Red not in the picture.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyakabooby
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM

So why don't you? 

Quoting Big_Momma_X02:

I would LOVE to be able to do this,it would be so much healthier

– Ralph Waldo Emerson
beadingmom17
by Rachel on May. 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM
I'm so jealous of the space you have! We're in an apartment, but I have celery growing already and will be planting herbs this weekend (chives, basil, oregano, parsley, and dill) in my new planter DH built me and I'll also be planting tomatoes, peppers, and garlic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyakabooby
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM

They are so cute? Do you know what breed they are? Mine are mutts. They look young, have they started laying yet?

Quoting ColieO:

Here's 4 of my 5 girls. Queen Elinor is the black one, the Red is either Flora or Fauna, the black and white with her head in the dish is Merryweather and the one in the back is Betsey Ross. I have another Red not in the picture.

– Ralph Waldo Emerson
reux
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Cool. I just started gardening again. I live in an urban area so I'm limited to some plots in a community garden. I don't have the space to try to grow all of our own food but we're starting to be able to get some of our veggies out of the garden rather than the market. I'm anxious for the tomatoes to start producing. We have 2 tiny little green cherry tomatoes so far. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)