Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Growing your own food. Anyone else?

Posted by   + Show Post

I've decided to grow my own food. I planted a huge garden. My plan is to can enough vegetables that I won't have to buy canned goods during the winter. And sell any extra. I also have chickens, I started small with 35 chicken. I will butcher the roosters for meat, and keep the hens for eggs. I plan on getting goats within the next few months to raise for milk, and meat. If I can get this going, then all I would need to buy at the store would be bread and fruit. 

I want to see your gardens!

For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Replies (31-40):
mommyakabooby
by Tree Charmer on May. 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM

That's so cool you can plant so much in an apartment. I'm assuming its on your patio?

Quoting beadingmom17:

I'm so jealous of the space you have! We're in an apartment, but I have celery growing already and will be planting herbs this weekend (chives, basil, oregano, parsley, and dill) in my new planter DH built me and I'll also be planting tomatoes, peppers, and garlic.

– Ralph Waldo Emerson
mommyakabooby
by Tree Charmer on May. 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I hope your garden is successful!

Quoting cookierode:

I live in east oakland and have some potted plants on my porch. Radish, carrots, mint, tomato, cilantro, peppers, basil, and squash which im going to have to make vertical lol. This is my first year.

– Ralph Waldo Emerson
ColieO
by I Rock on May. 6, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Elinor is an Australorp, Flora and Fauna are Rhode Island Reds, Merryweather is a Silver Laced Wyandotte and Betsey is an Easter Egger aka Americana.

They're only about 2 months old. They'll probably start laying around July. We just let them out of the coop to free range yesterday. They ate a ton of my weeds. Yay! Lol.

Quoting mommyakabooby:

They are so cute? Do you know what breed they are? Mine are mutts. They look young, have they started laying yet?

Quoting ColieO:

Here's 4 of my 5 girls. Queen Elinor is the black one, the Red is either Flora or Fauna, the black and white with her head in the dish is Merryweather and the one in the back is Betsey Ross. I have another Red not in the picture.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyakabooby
by Tree Charmer on May. 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM

It looks so pretty, and neat and organized! 

Quoting CasandraFinlay:

Our city garden. Tomatoes, green bell peppers, green bean bushes, squash, and celery (pinterest experiment).

– Ralph Waldo Emerson
Karenjm
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I would love to do this.  I just don't have the land.  I do have a little garden where I'll be doing tomatoes, cucumber and peppers this year.  I want to do lettuce and some other stuff in pots. 

hautemama83
by Nichole on May. 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM
I did too. But I Googled and there's tons of extraction recipies online. Some even say just use crushed up leaves in drinks for sweetness.

Quoting ColieO:

I got stevia this year on a whim lol. I don't even know what to do with it but was like oooo cool.

Quoting hautemama83:

I ordered them online from parkseeds.com. So far I have three plants, and they're doing great. But I should add they're not actually in my garden lol. I keep them potted and inside. I've read they go best that way, and make really nice house plants as well.

Quoting mommyakabooby:

That's almost everything I've planted, except the stevia. I had planned on buying seeds online. But I ended up buying from the local feed store. Where did you find your stevia?

Quoting hautemama83:

We do. So far in our garden we have -

Corn

Peas

Tomatoes

Potatoes

Zucchini

Cucumber

Spaghetti squash

Yellow squash

Onions

Radishes

Carrot

Sweet peppers

Bell peppers

stevia

Watermelon

Asparagus

Brussel sprouts

Strawberries

blueberries

And black berries

We already have 50+ chickens. Roosters are for meat, and we have laying ducks too. I also have a full herb garden.

mommyakabooby
by Tree Charmer on May. 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM

That's about how old mine are. They free range as well, it sure saves on feed.

Quoting ColieO:

Elinor is an Australorp, Flora and Fauna are Rhode Island Reds, Merryweather is a Silver Laced Wyandotte and Betsey is an Easter Egger aka Americana.

They're only about 2 months old. They'll probably start laying around July. We just let them out of the coop to free range yesterday. They ate a ton of my weeds. Yay! Lol.

Quoting mommyakabooby:

They are so cute? Do you know what breed they are? Mine are mutts. They look young, have they started laying yet?

Quoting ColieO:

Here's 4 of my 5 girls. Queen Elinor is the black one, the Red is either Flora or Fauna, the black and white with her head in the dish is Merryweather and the one in the back is Betsey Ross. I have another Red not in the picture.

– Ralph Waldo Emerson
Britty1987
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Yep all hens. One Rhode Island Red, one Buff Cochin, and the other 2 I'm not sure. They're about 2 months old

Quoting mommyakabooby:

The one thing I would have done different is I would not have tilled the soil. It ended up just chopping all the Bermuda grass into little bitty tubers, and it is impossible to pull it all out now. I spend at least two hour a day trying to get all the Bermuda out of my beds. Four chickens is sufficient for a family. It should give you enough eggs for your family, and extra to sell. If their hens that is. 

Quoting Britty1987:

This is my 1st year gardening and we haven't planted yet. But I've been reading and reading... I can't wait! We also have chickens but only 4. Any gardening advice?

CasandraFinlay
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM
The green beans were very happy to sprout. Had to cull them! I've also put an herb garden in our front door planter; one medium rosemary bush, basil, and sage. We lean towards Italian seasoned foods. :-)

Quoting mommyakabooby:

It looks so pretty, and neat and organized! 

Quoting CasandraFinlay:

Our city garden. Tomatoes, green bell peppers, green bean bushes, squash, and celery (pinterest experiment).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizard_Lina
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM
I don't have any pictures but my neighbor and I share a garden. she takes care of it during the day, she's a sahm. We out it in between our garages and its perfect there. Right now we just grow veggies. Which are doing awesome BTW. I went to the pet store and asked for their dead goldfish. Free plant food for me! Lol I also have potato pots hanging from my porch roof as well as pepper and tomato pots. Gardening in the city. Gotta love it .lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)