Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Growing your own food. Anyone else?

Posted by   + Show Post

I've decided to grow my own food. I planted a huge garden. My plan is to can enough vegetables that I won't have to buy canned goods during the winter. And sell any extra. I also have chickens, I started small with 35 chicken. I will butcher the roosters for meat, and keep the hens for eggs. I plan on getting goats within the next few months to raise for milk, and meat. If I can get this going, then all I would need to buy at the store would be bread and fruit. 

I want to see your gardens!

For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Replies (41-50):
Talliana
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I planted tomato, lettuce, corn, peas (2 types), cucumbers, watermelons, peppers (3 types), onions, sweet potatoes, last year I did not harvest anything except jalapenos, but so far this year I have picked two tomatoes.I stayed with things that me and the kids would eat or could use in different recipes. I make my husband jalapeno relish which he loves.  I could not do animals since  I would not be able to slaughter them. I've seen my mom do it but there is no way I could. Also we can't keep farm animals in our HOA but there are farms across the street from us where we can get fresh milk and eggs. 

hautemama83
by Nichole on May. 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM
I can't remember how much I spent with them. It wasn't much though. I only got a few things on there that I couldn't find locally, like chocolate cherry heirloom tomatoes. The shipping took forever though.

Quoting mommyakabooby:

That's where I was planning on ordering my seeds from. But my cart ended up being over 200$. Then I found a sale at the feed store, last years seeds for .50 cents. Sooo much cheaper, but they didn't have the stevia. :(

Quoting hautemama83:

I ordered them online from parkseeds.com. So far I have three plants, and they're doing great. But I should add they're not actually in my garden lol. I keep them potted and inside. I've read they go best that way, and make really nice house plants as well.

Quoting mommyakabooby:

That's almost everything I've planted, except the stevia. I had planned on buying seeds online. But I ended up buying from the local feed store. Where did you find your stevia?

Quoting hautemama83:

We do. So far in our garden we have -

Corn

Peas

Tomatoes

Potatoes

Zucchini

Cucumber

Spaghetti squash

Yellow squash

Onions

Radishes

Carrot

Sweet peppers

Bell peppers

stevia

Watermelon

Asparagus

Brussel sprouts

Strawberries

blueberries

And black berries

We already have 50+ chickens. Roosters are for meat, and we have laying ducks too. I also have a full herb garden.

DragonInfinity
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM

We don't have our garden in at the moment (to wet)...But we also have 50chickens,6ducks, 5geese, 5dairy cattle, 3beef cattle, looking into buying a pig/hog this summer. We also have an orchard for our fruit. So I will be REALLY busy this late summer/early fall canning everything that i can. As well as butchering some meat for this winter.... We are also hatching out more chicks to sell and selling the extra eggs and milk we get.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safety in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!!!"

beaugrl0824
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:38 PM
I help my mom with her huge garden and my dad with his hobby farm. So my summer is full

We have
Strawberries, raspberries(black and red), currents, and blueberries

Cucumbers, potatoes, carrots, lettuce, broccoli, pumpkins, squash, zucchini, peas, beans, tomatoes.

The garden covers almost 2 acres with a
1000 raspberry plants.

My dad sells hay for horses so I will be mowing, raking, and baling this year.

He also has a small herd of red angus cattle for meat. We've had 3 girls born so far this year with 8 more cows to freshen.

2 sows that are ready to have piglets. Most of which will be sold but he usually raises 2 for meat.

A flock of 30 hens that provide eggs for 3 families.

It's a lot of work but its so worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crzymmy5
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I love gardening and have a decent sized  one planned for this year (not planted yet, we still had freezing rain & snow last week).  About 25ft x 25ft 

I really want to get hens for laying. I've had them in the past and they did well for me. However, I couldn't ever raise something to eat. I just know my heart would break! LOL *such a softy* 

KellBell0820
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM
I live in an apartment so my garden is in pots and small. We have carrots, basil, okra, green onions and tomatos. My sister is growing strawberries and oregano so we can trade (she loves okra).
ElizabethGracie
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I live in a city....we're lucky to have flowers.

It's a great idea though...my grandparents had a garden when I was growing up in Virginia and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

CafeMom Tickers

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you"

DragonInfinity
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Quoting DragonInfinity:

We don't have our garden in at the moment (to wet)...But we also have 50chickens,6ducks, 5geese, 5dairy cattle, 3beef cattle, looking into buying a pig/hog this summer. We also have an orchard for our fruit. So I will be REALLY busy this late summer/early fall canning everything that i can. As well as butchering some meat for this winter.... We are also hatching out more chicks to sell and selling the extra eggs and milk we get.

Forgot to mention that we will be planting: yellow tomatoes, jalapenos, banana peppers, bell peppers, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, watermelon, cantalope, green beans, peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn. Our orchard is full of cherry, pear, peach, apricot, chestnut, pecan, apple. We also pick wild blueberries, blackberries, poke(kinda like spinach), mushrooms, raspberries, dewberries, onions.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safety in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!!!"

justahousewife
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM

It really is great. If you love your kitchen and don't mind giving up sleeping in it's a wonderful lifestyle. Even with not sleeping in I do take a lot of 2pm naps. lol But the food value is so worth it. When you sit down to a dinner that is 100% homegrown and isn't bland or boring but healthy and delicious then even the kids get excited. I have two daughters 11 and 5 who both love helping with our "farm". It's not even a chore anymore it's just everyday waking up to something delicious happening in the kitchen after being adored by all your critters. 

We make everything from our whole ingredients. From the meat we make brats, hot dogs, pepperoni snack sticks and everything in between. The dairy is always fun because of all the yummy treats. I use yogurt in place of mayo in most recipes and bakery goods. I bake all of our bread, hot dog buns and dinner rolls included. 

It sounds like a lot of work but when you really feel the benefits and grow a passion for it, it's not really work at all, just your daily thing. 

Quoting mommyakabooby:

That's awesome! That's exactly what I'm working having eventually. 

Quoting justahousewife:

Homegrown food is my favorite hobby. :-) Dairy goats for butter, cheese, ice cream, yogurt, meat and such. Chickens, turkeys and geese for eggs and meat. Large garden every year and cool crops in between. And a greenhouse growing subtropical plants for future food. :-)

cgarlic
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM
I grew up on a farm & temporily staying there now. My dad just started cutting asparagus about 10 days ago. I love fresh veggies so yummy. They also do corn, watermelon, tomatoes...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN