Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Growing your own food. Anyone else?

Posted by   + Show Post

I've decided to grow my own food. I planted a huge garden. My plan is to can enough vegetables that I won't have to buy canned goods during the winter. And sell any extra. I also have chickens, I started small with 35 chicken. I will butcher the roosters for meat, and keep the hens for eggs. I plan on getting goats within the next few months to raise for milk, and meat. If I can get this going, then all I would need to buy at the store would be bread and fruit. 

I want to see your gardens!

For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Replies (71-75):
LntLckrsCmQut
by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

I am in the process if building another box and a potato box. Right now, I have lettuce, broccoli, bell peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes, rosemary, sage, basil, thyme, parsley, oregano and chocolate mint. and I did have onions but I have harvested all of it. In it's place, I planted sunflowers.
LntLckrsCmQut
by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

My herbs.
LntLckrsCmQut
by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Mobile Photo

jomami
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:17 PM

WHy do so many people plant their freuits and veggies in boxes?  I planted a bunch of seeds this yeatr and have to plant them outside now.  not sure how to protect them best from animals and if I should get a box.  I planed the tomoatoes in big pot - like you have your herbs.

Any tips? 

I have watermelon, cantelope, peppers, squash, cucumbers

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Mobile Photo

I am in the process if building another box and a potato box. Right now, I have lettuce, broccoli, bell peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes, rosemary, sage, basil, thyme, parsley, oregano and chocolate mint. and I did have onions but I have harvested all of it. In it's place, I planted sunflowers.

mommyakabooby
by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I love these pictures! Your garden looks great!

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Mobile Photo

For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN