Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What kind of Dog do you have?

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM
  • 70 Replies

We are thinking of getting a puppy. I was thinking a Jack Russell Terrier or a Beagal. Maybe a Golden Retriever.

Anyone have a good suggestion for around little kids?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I don't like recommending breeds because my favorite breeds may not be the right fit for your family.  I currently have an Australian shepherd and a Lab mix.

Try doing this dog quiz. I don't think they are 100% but it will give you a few ideas about which breeds might work with your famiy and lifestyle.

http://animal.discovery.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds/questionnaire/page1.html?opt=&site=APL&q=1&r=&q1=%27%7Cl%7C%27&q2=&q3=5&q4=3-4&q5=3-4&q6=4-5&q7=4-5&q8=3-4&q9=&q10=

cbhs_teacher
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM

We don't have a dog currently, our last two passed on. They were a female pomeranian and a male great dane.

Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

We have three Siberian Huskies. They are all wonderful around the kids. The dogs used to circle the cradle when the babies would start to cry and howl. They are wonderful dogs with kids.

auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM
We have 2 female poddles.
LCG83
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM
I have 2 German shepherds and a border collie. None if which I'd really recommend around smaller grabbier kids to be honest.
gma12.1
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM

My preferance has always been an Austrailian Shepherd. They are great around kids but need a lot of attention like a kid & are very active they do best in a family that goes for walks or plays games like soccer, frisbee, or even baseball. They will try to herd the kids to keep them close together and all the Aussies I had wanted the kids to stay fairly close to where I was. They are great at protecting kids with out being aggressive. I used to joke about the fact that anyone messed with my kids they'd get 50 pounds of hairy dog all over their butt.

jdy9440
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I have a Shih Tzu and provide child care , have never had any issues and the toddlers and kids all love him. 

He is also hypoallergenic and doesn't shed. But does require grooming every few months (trim)

do11face
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I have a golden retriever and a cocker spaniel mix.

Our golden is such a good girl. So was our golden before that.
Our cocker mix is still a puppy so he can be a little spazzy still but my kids love him.

iHEAVENn
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM

We have a lab boxer mix

and a lab border collie mix

the lab boxer is better with our son because she doesnt jump as much 

and the lab border collie is a real mommas girl

Rosebud27aj
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:02 PM

We have an Akita/pitbull mix....she's great with our kids, but I know how some people may feel about those breeds....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN