pitbullEver wondered what you would do to protect your child? Would you throw yourself at the mercy of five pit bulls to keep your child safe from harm? That's what Florida mom Brandy Bookamer did this past weekend. The 27-year-old mother was hurt so badly by the attacking dogs that she had to be airlifted to a hospital for medical treatment.

But she did what she needed to do. Her 6-year-old daughter is fine. Her mom saved her.

According to reports, Bookamer and her daughter were walking near their home when the five (five!!) pits appeared. Mom yelled to the little girl to run, and she did.

That left Mom to deal with five vicious dogs, and you can imagine what happened. Her injuries, fortunately, are not life-threatening but were still serious.

Still, they were worth it. She saved her daughter. That's a mom win right there.

If there were a parenting handbook, I'm sure that would be right on the front page of rules. If there's danger present, you position yourself to take the brunt of it. Whether that's letting a pack of pit bulls maul you or purposely falling sideways when you've tripped over a toy -- so you hurt yourself and miss the child who was standing there.

Now let me just stop a second here. Pit bulls have a bad but not necessarily warranted rep, and this story doesn't help it. I've known more than a few to be very sweet, and there are plenty of stories of heroic dogs out there too.

But when unknown dogs come out of nowhere, this dog owner and lover is still wary ... especially when my daughter is around. High strung dogs tend to be set off easily by small children, with their sudden movements and high-pitched voices.

Whether we were facing pit bulls or a pack of golden retrievers, I would have done the same thing ... which is exactly what Brandy Bookamer did. I would have told my kid to run, and I would have distracted the dogs until she got to safety. Even if that meant putting my own life in jeopardy.

Have you put yourself in harm's way to protect your kid? What happened?