Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Blowholes and Uteruses

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM
  • 6 Replies

I think we are coming down to the wire....

We have an eight year old son who is getting quite interested in the baby-making process. We are currently pregnant with our second child, and more than ever, our first son wants to know how on earth the baby got in there. As far as he knows, people get married and God puts the baby inside the mom. That was sufficient before, but now he is asking for details. To make matters worse, people aren't always cognizant of what children are paying attention to. 

1. My son was reading a library book about animals and their young. He inferred from the picture and short sentences that dolphins must have two blowholes: one for breathing and one for birthing! He further inferred that I would have his brother out of my blowhole, which would of course be my butt.
  2. My son was with my parents one evening while my mother was making dinner and my father was playing with my son on the race car track. There was some show called Doctors on. The topic must have been something about pain in the abdominal area, menstrual pain and hysterectomies. What my parents didn't realize was my son was getting an earful. At a doctor's appointment last week, my son's pediatrician was asking basic questions about if his stomach hurt if she pushed it in. He told her no and then his eyes lit up. He told his doctor that if his stomach did start hurting, he would just have his uterus removed and it would stop. It would also improve his sex life. My mouth probably literally hit the floor, my husband looked very embarrassed and the pediatrician laughed hysterically. We asked about where he had heard and he told us about the Doctors show he watched with his grandparents. We further inquired what a sex life was and he had no idea. When we left, we told him that only girls have uteruses and that is where they carry the babies inside. That brought the conversation full circle and now he wants to know how the heck babies get in there. My husband quickly changed the subject.

So, how do we approach the situation????????????

by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Just explain in an age appropriate way. For my 5 yr old son it was, mommys have eggs and dads have a different egg. They have a special way to make those two eggs meet and that's what makes the baby.

You might choose to use more correct terms or give more or less details.

Sex Ed is an on going conversation. :)
ikesmommy
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM

The idea of it makes my heart hurt :-(

Quoting hriabywx4:

Just explain in an age appropriate way. For my 5 yr old son it was, mommys have eggs and dads have a different egg. They have a special way to make those two eggs meet and that's what makes the baby.

You might choose to use more correct terms or give more or less details.

Sex Ed is an on going conversation. :)

1boy1girlmama
by *Sarcasm Speaks* on May. 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL that is so funny, well because it's not my kid. 

My 3 yr. old asked me the other day, mommy how does the baby get in the mommy's tummy. I said 'they just do' and she said 'NO mom, how DO they get IN there'. I told her dad has a seed and mom has an egg and they put them together in mommy's tummy and the baby grows. That was good enough for her, but she is only 3, at 8 I'm sure she would want more of an explanation than that. Good luck! Books are very helpful. 

Schauseil
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Your kid has no idea how the body works at 8!!!! Buy the kid a freaking anatomy book and teach him. He has a body, he should know whats in it. Also, you cam teach him how babies are made that way too.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 6, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Buy an age appropriate book to discuss body parts and functions with him.   Now is the time to start the ongoing conversation about body health and sexual health.    I can promise you it does not take a childs innocence away to know that girls can have babies and boys help create them.   You can still instill that the couples be married before having this intimate contact.

SlightlyPerfect
by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:13 PM

That's tough because you already brought a god into the conversation.

I would just tell him the truth. Kids work in facts.

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)