Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

New social security card after marriage??

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM
  • 18 Replies
Has anyone done it by mail? What exactly do you send? The way I understand you can only send originals....I can't possibly send them my current license??
If I go into a local office what exactly do I need to take besides my current photo id and a copy of my marriage certificate?
TIA!!
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I don't know if you can do it by mail.  I took drivers license and marriage cert.

SerenityRose
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Was wondering because I don't have a copy of my birth cert. and some people say I have to have it and others say no?? I need to call in the am and find out......just hope I can do it without my birth cert.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

I don't know if you can do it by mail.  I took drivers license and marriage cert.

momoftwo0406
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:45 PM
I just took my marriage lisence down to the SS office and got a print out with my new name then got my card like a week in a half later. I didn't do the mail because I didn't want to send my original ML.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DKk0531
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:45 PM
I did it by mail, but absoutely hated sending my drivers license in. Got it back within two days but i hated it.
If you go in i believe you just need id and marriage cert..the closest office to us is about two hrs so thats why i didnt go in
DKk0531
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Oh and birth cert
momoftwo0406
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM
I didn't need mine. I just got married two months ago

Quoting SerenityRose:

Was wondering because I don't have a copy of my birth cert. and some people say I have to have it and others say no?? I need to call in the am and find out......just hope I can do it without my birth cert.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM
I never changed mine. Kept my maiden name. Really avant garde 30 some yrs ago lol.
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I definitely didn't bring a birth cert.  

Quoting SerenityRose:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/315/~/change-a-name-on-a-social-security-card

says you can do it by mail and just send the certified copy of your marriage licesne i know we got 3-4 just so i would have them to deal with everyone.

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Quoting DKk0531:

Oh and birth cert

no you don't need a birth cert.  i just did mine less than a yr ago and didn't need it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)