Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

New social security card after marriage??

Posted by   + Show Post
Has anyone done it by mail? What exactly do you send? The way I understand you can only send originals....I can't possibly send them my current license??
If I go into a local office what exactly do I need to take besides my current photo id and a copy of my marriage certificate?
TIA!!
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Replies (11-18):
DKk0531
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:52 PM
I did need mine. I remember because i lost my birth cert and they said they wouldnt do it without dl, certified copy of marriage cert and birth cert. I had to order a new one before they did it. I got married in dec and it took two months because i had to order a new one. I still have the paper that says i needed it

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting DKk0531:

Oh and birth cert

no you don't need a birth cert.  i just did mine less than a yr ago and didn't need it

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Quoting DKk0531:

I did need mine. I remember because i lost my birth cert and they said they wouldnt do it without dl, certified copy of marriage cert and birth cert. I had to order a new one before they did it. I got married in dec and it took two months because i had to order a new one. I still have the paper that says i needed it

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting DKk0531:

Oh and birth cert

no you don't need a birth cert.  i just did mine less than a yr ago and didn't need it

right from their own mouths it CLEARLY says a birth cert is only needed if not already in their files.  It should already be in their files if you got a SSN.  hell i was born in 1964 and they had my records

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10513.pdf

marieKilbane
by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:54 AM

weird, I never changed mine

The_Doodle
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:56 AM

I went to the office for mine. I had to show them a photo ID and the marriage certificate, then they took my old SSC, I paid, and they mailed the new one.

BKozICan
by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Original ss card?

needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM
I had to brin my birth cert, marriage license, and new drivers license. It was pretty easy though.
needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Well isn't that wonderful? Too bad that some offices still REQUIRE birth certs. I had to bring mine when I got my new ssi card. Maybe it depends on the state or even just what the particular office requires. It's great if YOU didn't have to, but some offices require it.

Quoting erinsmom1964:Quoting DKk0531:I did need mine. I remember because i lost my birth cert and they said they wouldnt do it without dl, certified copy of marriage cert and birth cert. I had to order a new one before they did it. I got married in dec and it took two months because i had to order a new one. I still have the paper that says i needed it

Quoting erinsmom1964:Quoting DKk0531:Oh and birth certno you don't need a birth cert.  i just did mine less than a yr ago and didn't need it
right from their own mouths it CLEARLY says a birth cert is only needed if not already in their files.  It should already be in their files if you got a SSN.  hell i was born in 1964 and they had my recordshttp://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10513.pdf
ScrChk23
by Amanda on May. 7, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I had to go into the local office.  I do not remeber what all I needed to take.  Check out the http://www.ssa.gov/ website.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)