Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Teaching my baby sign language anyone else?

Posted by   + Show Post
When the baby was 3 months my fiancé stumbled across a baby sign language book I was obsessed with the idea I'm very obsessive when it comes to new things but has anyone successfully able to teach your baby sign language?
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Replies (61-70):
Rin0413
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:34 AM
I think that's a problem I have I don't know what he may be doing when he uses the hands because in looking for a copy of what I have done

Quoting cowgirls10181:

Dont be extra picky on how she signs shes going to add her own twist most do, as long as you know what shes signing and its close to the way its signed shes good

Quoting Rin0413:

Thank you that was very useful!

Quoting PhDMom2b:

Babies can do gross motor signs "more" "done" "want" by 6 months. The premise behind baby sign is that babies can use their hands for communication much earlier than they can use their mouthes for speech.  The downside of the baby sign is that most children will start talking before they learn enough sign for it to be useful. The messages your baby is communicating tend to be: a) in the moment, and b) easily decipherable. You can teach a baby common gestures (pointing, shaking heads, etc) without going the sign route.  Sign is very useful when a baby is moving beyond things like "more juice" and into a specific type of juice, or wanting water versus any other liquid.

Sign is absolutely indicated as a treatment for expressive language in the following cases: a) late talker-children who have not said their first word by 14 months and/or have not started putting two words together by 24 months or b) children who have suspected neurological differences that may hinder their ability to meet their daily communicative needs through speech.

This is one area where I can claim to absolutely be an expert.  I got my PhD in it! :)  PM me if you want more info.

Basherte
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I wish my son and I could learn it. I am sure that he could learn it a lot faster than I can though. *giggles*.. as it stands now, most of the time, I can understand him. He has had so few meltdowns that it's amazing. 

So glad that it worked for you Momma. 

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

This.

My son is in speech therapy and learned how to sign, so now he signs to me and its really cut down on meltdowns

Quoting Basherte:

A lot of children who have issues with speech, are taught sign language (rudimentary of course) so that they can communicate effectively. Which causes temper tantrums, meltdowns, and frustration to lessen.

I haven't been able to teach my youngest sign language, yet he has figured out a way of communicating that most people understand, without using speech. (he is non verbal)

CafeMom Tickers
LoveyDucky
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I started my son the day I started to date his father. Just basic stuff. He was 13 months. And I started sign everything I say to my daughter Layla. By 19 months my son had about 15-25 signs(he's four now so it's hard to remember but he could form "more food please" "I'm hungry now" and "you're going where?" Basically any and all 3 word sentences. And a ton of single signs.

My dd is currently 17 months and she says "more. All done. Cup, going?," basically a dozen single signs and she signs "please" after everything.

My cousin passed away in January, but became deaf in both ears after a football accident, when he was 15. We learned sign language together.

I desperately ask that you not teach improper sign. And example is Some baby sign books will says "flapping your arms to your side- bird" it's not! Bird is your pincher fingers beside your mouth to say "bird" but to describe the bird depends on the type of beak. Example a Duck has a wide beak so the whole hand is used fingers flat together beside your mouth with your thumb under (same as "bird" but all fingers move instead of just pinchers)
Also.... SIGNING TIME WITH ALEX AND LEAH is a great one for kids.

Sorry this was so long
Rin0413
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Where could I get signing time with Alex and Leah?

Quoting LoveyDucky:

I started my son the day I started to date his father. Just basic stuff. He was 13 months. And I started sign everything I say to my daughter Layla. By 19 months my son had about 15-25 signs(he's four now so it's hard to remember but he could form "more food please" "I'm hungry now" and "you're going where?" Basically any and all 3 word sentences. And a ton of single signs.

My dd is currently 17 months and she says "more. All done. Cup, going?," basically a dozen single signs and she signs "please" after everything.

My cousin passed away in January, but became deaf in both ears after a football accident, when he was 15. We learned sign language together.

I desperately ask that you not teach improper sign. And example is Some baby sign books will says "flapping your arms to your side- bird" it's not! Bird is your pincher fingers beside your mouth to say "bird" but to describe the bird depends on the type of beak. Example a Duck has a wide beak so the whole hand is used fingers flat together beside your mouth with your thumb under (same as "bird" but all fingers move instead of just pinchers)

Also.... SIGNING TIME WITH ALEX AND LEAH is a great one for kids.

Sorry this was so long

ashley9603
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

My boys are not babies lol anymore(they will be 2 next month)however we are starting to work with my younger twin as he is nonverbal.Just wished we would have started with him sooner....

fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I did it with my 3rd but didn't really find that much benefit and didn't do it with my 4th.  My kids tend to talk very early so maybe that is why.  My 14mo old can tell me what he wants so there isn't to much of a need.

lovebugs_mom906
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this
We taught my son very basic sign like more, eat, water, milk, all done, please and a few others. It's so much easier to communicate with them when they can show you what they want.
OliveBumblebee
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I think it's a great idea!  I am working on Eat Milk, finished and Mama. 

A few of the day cares I checked out say they teach the kids sign language, so I thought I would too.

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

yes do it! I forgot about it and my baby is a bit slow to talk but my friend who does signing came over and taught baby a few signs and she does them all the time now. it's so much easier for her to tell us what she wants. your child will be less whiney too because they will be able to communicate with you before they can speak. so cool..

GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I taught my kids, who are now 14 and 16, sign language when they were toddlers. It was very easy for them to learn and I started my son around 16 months and then my daughter was around it from the time she was born. We stopped actively learning new signs when my oldest was about 6 years old. They still know all of the signs we learned, including the full alphabet, and we use them occassionally still when we're in situations where we should be quiet but still need to communicate something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN