Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Teaching my baby sign language anyone else?

Posted by   + Show Post
When the baby was 3 months my fiancé stumbled across a baby sign language book I was obsessed with the idea I'm very obsessive when it comes to new things but has anyone successfully able to teach your baby sign language?
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Replies (71-76):
LoveyDucky
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM
They have some online. Google "signing time with Alex and Leah" and it will come up. There are some sample you tube videos and then they give you the website. I'm sure you can download some for free but they also have DVDs and stuff

Quoting Rin0413:

Where could I get signing time with Alex and Leah?

Quoting LoveyDucky:

I started my son the day I started to date his father. Just basic stuff. He was 13 months. And I started sign everything I say to my daughter Layla. By 19 months my son had about 15-25 signs(he's four now so it's hard to remember but he could form "more food please" "I'm hungry now" and "you're going where?" Basically any and all 3 word sentences. And a ton of single signs.

My dd is currently 17 months and she says "more. All done. Cup, going?," basically a dozen single signs and she signs "please" after everything.

My cousin passed away in January, but became deaf in both ears after a football accident, when he was 15. We learned sign language together.

I desperately ask that you not teach improper sign. And example is Some baby sign books will says "flapping your arms to your side- bird" it's not! Bird is your pincher fingers beside your mouth to say "bird" but to describe the bird depends on the type of beak. Example a Duck has a wide beak so the whole hand is used fingers flat together beside your mouth with your thumb under (same as "bird" but all fingers move instead of just pinchers)

Also.... SIGNING TIME WITH ALEX AND LEAH is a great one for kids.

Sorry this was so long

alexis_06
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

i never did, but i had a friend who did this with her child and it worked geat!!

mommyakabooby
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Somewhat. I taught my youngest about 5 signs. Eat, nurse, up, more, please, maybe a couple more but I don't remember. 

Terriann13
by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Yes, I started when my son was a baby and now he is 6.  Sometimes he still uses it! 

rmfanfgljf
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:46 PM

its not hard at all for my son, he is around both languages all the time every day........it is difficult for me to learn another language, but not for my kids.

Quoting Rin0413:

Is that difficult because I'm still teaching my self other languages

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

Not sign language, but my son is learning English and Spanish.

Lovemyshadows
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Quoting Rin0413:

Lol I'm getting anxious to start back up again I want to have fun while doing it I don't want it to be a chore you know!

Quoting 1st_time_mom789:

Sure did. DD didn't actually start communicating until she was about six months but we did it with her and we plan on doing it with this baby too. 

It was amazing with our granddaughter.  She could tell us when she was hungry or not, if she wanted more or not, tell us when she was thirsty and what she wanted to drink it was so much easier than trying to figure out what she wanted.  No temper tantrums or crying .  I recommend it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN