Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Teaching my baby sign language anyone else?

Posted by   + Show Post
When the baby was 3 months my fiancé stumbled across a baby sign language book I was obsessed with the idea I'm very obsessive when it comes to new things but has anyone successfully able to teach your baby sign language?
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
Rin0413
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Thank you, you've been a lot of help!

Quoting adrianasmommy07:

I wanna say I read somewhere that before 9 months its considered not worth it, because its so disheartening to the parents. The average age the first sign appears is around 12 months.

Quoting Rin0413:

I'd started at 4 months but I felt like I was learning more than he was but after a whileI became lazy and inpatient. I think I'm going to try again hopefully I stick to it lol

Quoting adrianasmommy07:

9 months I think.

Quoting Rin0413:

How old did you start teaching him?

Quoting adrianasmommy07:

We are teaching ds some basic signs. He already knows more and all done.

Rin0413
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM
He turns 7 months today, I want to begin teaching him again but I want to make sure that its not all for nothing; you know?

Quoting potgieter:

how old is baby now? baby wont be able to sign until around 7/8 months because of the motor skills required.. 

our dd uses some - she tends to over generalize but we are happy with her signing abilities because it has made life easier. now she is 1 and she wants to talk rather than sign.

potgieter
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:52 AM

just be patient :) and watch carefully! The way dd does it is different to how we taught her - she does it the best she could when she started. and just some encouragement - we were horrible at being consistant and activly teaching her and she still has learnt many different signs! They are smarter than we think! if you have been consistant itll be alot easier for him to learn but give him time to decide to use it. I think dd only started around 9 months - i remember feeling antsy because my book said 7/8! lol 

Rin0413
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:02 AM
I know around 4 to 5 months he would do the eat sign every now and then and 10 minutes later he'd scream his head off and I felt like I accomplished something but then he totally stopped lol

Quoting potgieter:

just be patient :) and watch carefully! The way dd does it is different to how we taught her - she does it the best she could when she started. and just some encouragement - we were horrible at being consistant and activly teaching her and she still has learnt many different signs! They are smarter than we think! if you have been consistant itll be alot easier for him to learn but give him time to decide to use it. I think dd only started around 9 months - i remember feeling antsy because my book said 7/8! lol 

DACIA79
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Quoting Rin0413:

Little kids can absorb pretty much anything I enrolled my son in a full Spanish immersion program at age 5 and its been amazing.

There lots of cute signing videos for babies and you could take a class at your local community college to help your obsession along. There also preschools that teach it but you have a while to plan for that

Good luck.
Rin0413
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I've downloaded a lot of baby sign apps with singing and cute little virtual baby's I don't know who enjoys it more him or me lol. But thank you you've been a great help

Quoting DACIA79:

Quoting Rin0413:

Little kids can absorb pretty much anything I enrolled my son in a full Spanish immersion program at age 5 and its been amazing.

There lots of cute signing videos for babies and you could take a class at your local community college to help your obsession along. There also preschools that teach it but you have a while to plan for that

Good luck.

fiddlerbird555
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM

My 2nd kid tried to teach me sign language. (She also occasionally rephrased when I didn't understand her words)  I have several friends who have had degrees of success. It does work better if you're a stay-at-home, which I wasn't.

Note that kids start to learn language from the time they're born. Understanding comes long before the coordination to express themselves. Coordination in the hands generally comes before the tongue & lips (after all, they can be seen easier). The concept is great, if you can manage it, and even a little communication is better than none.

1st_time_mom789
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Sure did. DD didn't actually start communicating until she was about six months but we did it with her and we plan on doing it with this baby too. 

Rin0413
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Lol I'm getting anxious to start back up again I want to have fun while doing it I don't want it to be a chore you know!

Quoting 1st_time_mom789:

Sure did. DD didn't actually start communicating until she was about six months but we did it with her and we plan on doing it with this baby too. 

Rosebud27aj
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

We are teaching my 3 yr old ds basic signs. He knows about 7-8 of them.  He doesn't talk yet, so they are very helpful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)