Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Teaching my baby sign language anyone else?

Posted by   + Show Post
When the baby was 3 months my fiancé stumbled across a baby sign language book I was obsessed with the idea I'm very obsessive when it comes to new things but has anyone successfully able to teach your baby sign language?
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Replies (21-30):
Rin0413
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:36 AM
I'm a stay at home mom for the time being and while my finance is at work I feel it's a better way for me and the baby to connect

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

My 2nd kid tried to teach me sign language. (She also occasionally rephrased when I didn't understand her words)  I have several friends who have had degrees of success. It does work better if you're a stay-at-home, which I wasn't.

Note that kids start to learn language from the time they're born. Understanding comes long before the coordination to express themselves. Coordination in the hands generally comes before the tongue & lips (after all, they can be seen easier). The concept is great, if you can manage it, and even a little communication is better than none.

babyblue21
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Dd #2 started at 6m, she is speech delayed. She just turned 2 knows and says about 10 words, no sentences yet but can sign 2 words together! We learned along side with her. My oldest also learned at a young age and will be 10 and still signs (speech delayed as well). Their speech therapist made it fun so do we
cupcake_mom
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM

i have taught the kids i baby sit a few words. eat please thank you more sorry baby apple all done, my god son just had tubes put in his ears and i could understand him when he talked to me so i started with him. well i started with my dd but she talked fast and wouldnt do it after she started talking. im working on learning new words. maybe we can help each other. PM if you want

Rin0413
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Ds is very hands on touching everything but he doesn't like me touching his hands unless we high five lol but I really would live for him to start sign language

Quoting babyblue21:

Dd #2 started at 6m, she is speech delayed. She just turned 2 knows and says about 10 words, no sentences yet but can sign 2 words together! We learned along side with her. My oldest also learned at a young age and will be 10 and still signs (speech delayed as well). Their speech therapist made it fun so do we

cupcake_mom
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM

this is not always true. you just have to have a care giver that is willing to learn also and teach when they are with them. i actully got my parents of the kids i baby sit on board 1st. i suggested and told them that we do it here and they asked for a quick run down of what we do and they saw how easy it was and that their 1 year old was doing it with me and they started doing it at home. i love it. im working on learning new words too

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

My 2nd kid tried to teach me sign language. (She also occasionally rephrased when I didn't understand her words)  I have several friends who have had degrees of success. It does work better if you're a stay-at-home, which I wasn't.

Note that kids start to learn language from the time they're born. Understanding comes long before the coordination to express themselves. Coordination in the hands generally comes before the tongue & lips (after all, they can be seen easier). The concept is great, if you can manage it, and even a little communication is better than none.

Rin0413
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM
I've taught ds eat bottle all done apple bath mommy and daddy I know more but I don't want to overwhelm him lol and we definitely could help each other out I certainly won't mine

Quoting cupcake_mom:

i have taught the kids i baby sit a few words. eat please thank you more sorry baby apple all done, my god son just had tubes put in his ears and i could understand him when he talked to me so i started with him. well i started with my dd but she talked fast and wouldnt do it after she started talking. im working on learning new words. maybe we can help each other. PM if you want

cupcake_mom
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

i never had to touch them to show them. i just start signing the words i know and doing it in connect. like i ask "do you want to eat(and sign "eat" as i say it)" and i say something like "say please(and sign "please" as i say it) and my 2.5 yr old(at the time) god son caught on. then i did it from the time another one of my baby sittin kids has been here, she was about 10 months and by 12 months she was signing alone. she can now talk a bit but signs as she says the word like i did when i starting teaching her.

Quoting Rin0413:

Ds is very hands on touching everything but he doesn't like me touching his hands unless we high five lol but I really would live for him to start sign language

Quoting babyblue21:

Bmat
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

My granddaughter learned some words- hungry, please... can't remember what else.

cupcake_mom
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM

i would just start signing as i say the word, then its not like a sit down this is this and this is this. he will just catch on. kwim?

and i know a few of those too.

Quoting Rin0413:

I've taught ds eat bottle all done apple bath mommy and daddy I know more but I don't want to overwhelm him lol and we definitely could help each other out I certainly won't mine

Quoting cupcake_mom:

terpmama
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:51 AM

My kids have been taught sign since birth... I'm an interpreter and have several close deaf friends and many acquaintances who are deaf. Both boys understand it better than expressing themselves with but both can. My oldest is very shy and will sign when he's nervous (new people, in trouble...). My youngest is two and will sign if he doesn't know the English word.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN