Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Teaching my baby sign language anyone else?

Posted by   + Show Post
When the baby was 3 months my fiancé stumbled across a baby sign language book I was obsessed with the idea I'm very obsessive when it comes to new things but has anyone successfully able to teach your baby sign language?
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Replies (41-50):
Rin0413
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM
So it's never too early to sign?

Quoting terpmama:

My kids have been taught sign since birth... I'm an interpreter and have several close deaf friends and many acquaintances who are deaf. Both boys understand it better than expressing themselves with but both can. My oldest is very shy and will sign when he's nervous (new people, in trouble...). My youngest is two and will sign if he doesn't know the English word.

Mommylovesdada
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM
We started when she was about six months and I swear it made her talk sooner. Could be a coincidence but who knows. It made communicating so much easier.
Rin0413
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM
That's something else I've heard it helps with their communication skills

Quoting Mommylovesdada:

We started when she was about six months and I swear it made her talk sooner. Could be a coincidence but who knows. It made communicating so much easier.

KayDziedzic
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM

We started learning signs for a few words to teach yDD when she was around 7 months old (she's 2 now). All done; eat; drink; more; sorry; please; thank you; diaper; milk(when she wanted to nurse, because it's easier than the sign for breast feeding); yes; no.

I tried to choose the signs that would be the most useful for our family. I kept the list of signs we'd learn fairly short, because DH, DS(now 7), oDD(now 5), and I had to learn them, too. It was important to me that the whole family learned and were able to easily remember the words that yDD was being taught to sign; the whole point of signing is to make it easier for baby to communicate with others, so what good is baby being able to sign if only one other person in her family knows what she's signing? Plus, my short term memory is lousy, and I wouldn't have been able to remember any more! I used youtube videos and a site that shows short videos of ASL signs. Seeing the signs being made as real people sign them, instead of looking at pictures of hands and arms with arrows, was much easier for me. yDD's signs weren't always obvious right away. (ex. She didn't have the dexterity to intentionally make the squeezing motion for 'milk'. DH was actually the first one to figure out that the open-close thing she was doing with her hand, that looked like she was randomly waving 'bye-bye', was yDD's version of 'milk' when she wanted to nurse, or while she was nursing.) We always signed them properly to her; some she signed properly, some she signed pretty close to properly, some she eventually learned to sign properly, and 'milk' she still signs wrong :)

yDD is 26 months old. She speaks in complete (though not always grammatically correct) sentences. She does appear to have the same type of articulation delay that oDD had from 3-4.5 (skipping or leaving off some consonant sounds, I believe the term is 'stopping'); oDD was NOT taught any sign language until she was 4.

All 3 of my kids are very articulate, in the sense that they are willing and able to clearly and coherantly put their thoughts into words, and have above average vocabularies. Only my youngest was taught any sign language. She did not speak earlier than either of the other two. DH and I feel very fortunate that, so far, both of our school-age children are strong, bright students. Neither was taught any sign language as a baby.

IMO, teaching some sign language to baby is a good idea because it makes it easier for baby to communicate and for caregivers and families to more easily understand what your LO needs and wants. Everyone is less frustrated. Early signing encourages communication.

If it's something you want to do, definitely teach your LO sign language. It will benefit not only your LO, but the rest of the family as well :)

Good luck!

babyblue21
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM
That is exactly how we started, because we also wanted them to talk. Ds did not start talking till 4yrs old, dd #2 is slowly picking up words independently but signs easily.

Quoting cupcake_mom:

i never had to touch them to show them. i just start signing the words i know and doing it in connect. like i ask "do you want to eat(and sign "eat" as i say it)" and i say something like "say please(and sign "please" as i say it) and my 2.5 yr old(at the time) god son caught on. then i did it from the time another one of my baby sittin kids has been here, she was about 10 months and by 12 months she was signing alone. she can now talk a bit but signs as she says the word like i did when i starting teaching her.

Quoting Rin0413:

Ds is very hands on touching everything but he doesn't like me touching his hands unless we high five lol but I really would live for him to start sign language

Quoting babyblue21:

Dd #2 started at 6m, she is speech delayed. She just turned 2 knows and says about 10 words, no sentences yet but can sign 2 words together! We learned along side with her. My oldest also learned at a young age and will be 10 and still signs (speech delayed as well). Their speech therapist made it fun so do we

Rin0413
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you I'm really into doing this I can't wait till I see more progress

Quoting KayDziedzic:

We started learning signs for a few words to teach yDD when she was around 7 months old (she's 2 now). All done; eat; drink; more; sorry; please; thank you; diaper; milk(when she wanted to nurse, because it's easier than the sign for breast feeding); yes; no.

I tried to choose the signs that would be the most useful for our family. I kept the list of signs we'd learn fairly short, because DH, DS(now 7), oDD(now 5), and I had to learn them, too. It was important to me that the whole family learned and were able to easily remember the words that yDD was being taught to sign; the whole point of signing is to make it easier for baby to communicate with others, so what good is baby being able to sign if only one other person in her family knows what she's signing? Plus, my short term memory is lousy, and I wouldn't have been able to remember any more! I used youtube videos and a site that shows short videos of ASL signs. Seeing the signs being made as real people sign them, instead of looking at pictures of hands and arms with arrows, was much easier for me. yDD's signs weren't always obvious right away. (ex. She didn't have the dexterity to intentionally make the squeezing motion for 'milk'. DH was actually the first one to figure out that the open-close thing she was doing with her hand, that looked like she was randomly waving 'bye-bye', was yDD's version of 'milk' when she wanted to nurse, or while she was nursing.) We always signed them properly to her; some she signed properly, some she signed pretty close to properly, some she eventually learned to sign properly, and 'milk' she still signs wrong :)

yDD is 26 months old. She speaks in complete (though not always grammatically correct) sentences. She does appear to have the same type of articulation delay that oDD had from 3-4.5 (skipping or leaving off some consonant sounds, I believe the term is 'stopping'); oDD was NOT taught any sign language until she was 4.

All 3 of my kids are very articulate, in the sense that they are willing and able to clearly and coherantly put their thoughts into words, and have above average vocabularies. Only my youngest was taught any sign language. She did not speak earlier than either of the other two. DH and I feel very fortunate that, so far, both of our school-age children are strong, bright students. Neither was taught any sign language as a baby.

IMO, teaching some sign language to baby is a good idea because it makes it easier for baby to communicate and for caregivers and families to more easily understand what your LO needs and wants. Everyone is less frustrated. Early signing encourages communication.

If it's something you want to do, definitely teach your LO sign language. It will benefit not only your LO, but the rest of the family as well :)

Good luck!

terpmama
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Nope... My oldest would recognize the sign for milk at 3 months (so if he was crying cause he was hungry and you signed milk he'd quit crying)

Quoting Rin0413:

Quoting terpmama:

My kids have been taught sign since birth... I'm an interpreter and have several close deaf friends and many acquaintances who are deaf. Both boys understand it better than expressing themselves with but both can. My oldest is very shy and will sign when he's nervous (new people, in trouble...). My youngest is two and will sign if he doesn't know the English word.

Rin0413
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Aww ds gets really excited and bounce around

Quoting terpmama:

Nope... My oldest would recognize the sign for milk at 3 months (so if he was crying cause he was hungry and you signed milk he'd quit crying)

Quoting Rin0413:

Quoting terpmama:

Mommylovesdada
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Absolutely! We were able to understand somewhat what she wanted. She is 18 months now and never stops talking but she will now say the words with her signs.

Quoting Rin0413:

Quoting Mommylovesdada:

Rin0413
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM
That's what I want with my ds he pays attention to everything I do. He babbles none stop now I think talking wont be a issue lol and he will catch in quick I hope

Quoting Mommylovesdada:

Absolutely! We were able to understand somewhat what she wanted. She is 18 months now and never stops talking but she will now say the words with her signs.

Quoting Rin0413:

Quoting Mommylovesdada:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN