Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

moms on a budget, I desperatly need your help!

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM
  • 5 Replies

So dh and I have been floating, barely but at least not sinking... 

You know how everybody has their talents? some people are really good at cooking, or organizing or money or cleaning etc etc... WELL lets just say that dealing with money is at the bottom of the list of talents that I have, and at the bottom of the list of what dh can do. 

This past month we went from floating to sinking, and sinking fast. Well, I guess we were on our way there since we owe so much backed up, but up until now we have been able to pay something to everybody to make sure things are okay. 

We are a month behind on rent ( our landlord is a darling and isnt pushing us at all) but paying our phones has now emptied our bank account. We literally have like 25 cents :( Childcare is so expensive where I live that I cant afford to work ( I tried working night but we wont even start the conversation of why that didnt work) and dh just got a better job that pays more so he cant ask for a raise. So we have to make cuts. 

I have called every company we use for everything from gas to phones to try to cut down on expenses and we are still screwed :( 

On paper, we make exactly enough to cover everything. But that doesnt leave any room for if dh is sick, or I need to take dd to dr or ANYTHING. at this point, if dh runs out of gas for his car, we cant refill it till next week - except we wont be able to because he would have missed so much work!

Im so frustrated and mad and wondering " how did it get to this" and then getting mad because we let it get here. Simple as that. It didnt happen TO me, I did it. 

Im not sure if there is any advice or if this is just a big fat vent. Im just frustrated I guess. and the stress dh feels because of finances - it kills me to see him hurt because he feels like he isnt providing for his family :(

by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
nissadawn
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM

There are several different things that can be done or not be done hard to say without knowing what you're looking at...couple years ago i ran into some serious health problem tha im still dealing with so we went down to one income...which for about a year and half was horrible....I live in an area where living expenses are low as far as national avg so when i say my family of 6 was living off of 2000ish a month to some it would be imposible but for the area i live it is doable just really really really hard. Im not sure looking back before DH got the job he has now how we stayed afloat. I'm more then willing to give advice or even recpies under 10 bucks that can feed an army if you wanted to send a friend invite LOL

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on May. 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM

If you've gotten that far behind you may need to revisit the idea of working at night cashiering at Walmart or a supermarket or something. You said you're paying for phones - how many phones do you have? Do you have a landline? Do you NEED to have multiple phones? Is there anything you can do at home to make money like babysitting or something?

***Check out The Marketplace!***

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

What sort of bills do you have? We are single income family as well and while we could make things work financially we had very little left over and it was getting annoying so we started off with cutting non-essentials. We got rid of cable and kept internet. Now we have a new phone system as well (cost up front but only $3 a month from then out)  for the house. Cell phones, cut them if you don't need them or get a better less expensive plan and deal with fewer calls.

Start cutting things that you buy too. We make our own cleaner (did it for health benefits, but cost is huge too) and other homemade things. Cloth diaper (again not for financial reasons, but it is a huge help) we buy used when possible and only buy new on things that we can't find used or are unacceptable to buy used like mattresses and stuffed furniture.

mikandwheezy
by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM

go prepaid on the cell phones or cut them out completely. we dont have call phones. cut out all of your extras like cable,internet, etc. shop store brands- theyre pretty much the same thing just cheaper. use coupons as much as you can if it will make the total cheaper then buying store brands. dont drive unless you have to. dont eat out. the "little things" add up quick. df just started packing his lunch a couple weeks ago instead of eating out every day and we save at least 30 a week from that. cook cheap meals. stuff like that

MrsCarnes88
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 3:08 PM
We are now a single income family DH makes about 2400 after taxes a month some more some less.. we have a family of 4 and one on the way... DH makes the money but I'm the financial one I write all the checks.. if u don't want to or can't work aswell then decisions need to be made give up what u can buy cheap where u can plan ur meals every week before shopping write ur list and stick to it... Cut ur cable if u can't afford it... When I left my job we sold my car DH works nights so I have the car all day to do what I need and he has it for work..that saved a lot on gas insurance and maintenance. We only have cable in my room and living room..

If u are capable of getting a part time job at night then u should even if its on a temp basis til u can get caught up... But like someone else said unless we are looking at totals and kno what bills u have and how much and ur income its hard to give personal advice based on ur situation...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)