Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Stepdad Abused Me (physically, mentally/emotionally/verbally, and possibly sexually) *UPDATE*

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM
  • 46 Replies

I posted this in another group, but I guess it wasn't dramatic enough, because I got one reply. I also want to add that I live about 10 hours from my mom, so talking to her in person can't really happen right now.

I thought about going anonymous with this because I didn't want anyone to know it was me, but then I figured I'd get the "you're a troll" comments...and quite frankly, I shouldn't be ashamed. I need advice on what to do.

I grew up with my mom, stepdad, and two younger brothers in my house. Stepdad and mom got married when I was 3.5-4 years old. He's been on the only male father figure in my life.

Anyway, I've always had a certain dislike for stepdad. He's a prick and abusive. When we were younger, he would always fuck with our heads (mental/emotional/verbal abuse). He was also physically abusive. I also suspect that he might have been sexually abusive (but I'll get into that further down the post).

As far as mental abuse, he would say that our mom was ashamed of us and felt like a failure as a mother because she had fat kids (this is BEFORE I became overweight). He would also threaten us. Once when we had gotten into trouble, he told us that he and my mom had planned to take us to some disney on ice thing, but not anymore since we misbehaved. He then proceeded to tell us that he owned a gun, that it was loaded, and asked if we wanted to see it. We all three thought he was going to kill us. He pulled a knife on my brothers and cornered them a few years ago as well...to which I didn't find out about until WAY after it happened.

As far as physical abuse, he's hit us many times. He liked to sleep in because he had sleeping problems, so we had to be deathly quiet or all hell would break loose. The more severe cases are that he once beat the shit out of one of my brothers for peeing his pants in the car even though my brother kept telling him he had to pee...but stepdad wouldn't stop the car. He once kicked me so hard that my tailbone was bruised (I thought it was broken. I couldn't even sit down correctly because it hurt so bad). I had to lie to the doctor on how it happened. He used to force us out of the house early in the morning so he could sleep without any noise. I was so afraid to go back in the house that I would pee my pants outside instead of risking making any noise going inside the house (This happened when I was about 4-5 years old). Aside from that, we were spanked a lot (belts mostly), hit hard (I got a couple goose eggs on my head because he hit me with a closed fist twice).

As far as sexual abuse, I'm not sure if this counts. He would have my brothers shower together and then he would have me shower with him. He claimed it was to save water. He never touched me in the shower and never made me touch him, but I hated it. One time, my parents went out drinking. When they came home, we were all in bed. My mom went to bed and stepdad came in my room. I pretended to be asleep. He kept saying he heard something outside and looked out my window. He reached over and started rubbing the blanket where my leg would be. After a few minutes, he pulled the cover back and started rubbing my leg. I bolted out of bed and ran to the bathroom and locked myself in. I stayed in there awhile. When I came out, he wasn't in my room. I locked my door and tried to go back to sleep. That's about as far as that goes....but I don't know what would have happened had I stayed in bed.

My mom worked all the time, so she doesn't really know about all of this. She knows that he disciplined us, and she witnessed some things, but not the majority of it. They have been married 23 years.

I hate him. He still tries to bully me to this day. I want to stand up to him, tell him to fuck off and go to hell, but for some reason, I'm still afraid of what will happen. Every time I get the courage to say something to my mom, I feel sick to my stomach and I chicken out.

I don't know what I'm really looking for with this, but I need to get it out...beyond that, I guess I'm looking for advice on what to do.

I know I probably need therapy...and I'm working on seeing one.

UPDATE: First, I want to say that my husband and my grandmother both think I have a form of PTSD. When someone throws something at me (tosses me a ball or anything), I flinch BAD and jerk away (like I'm covering my face or head). When I see things coming at me from the corner of my eye, I do the same thing. I get physically sick every time I think about all of this and I get nightmares about it sometimes...I was doing okay about it for awhile, but I think since they came down for a visit not that long ago (no, they did not stay here and he was NEVER alone with my son), it triggered it all again.

Anyway, last night I called my youngest brother (stepdad is his biological father). I asked him, "If mom and dad told you to quit talking to me, what would you do?" (One of my biggest fears with all of this is that my brothers will stop talking to me). He asked me why...and I told him it didn't matter. He said that he would tell them that I'm his sister, and he would still talk to all of us (which isn't true...he'll do what his dad says or he'll be secretive about it). He then kept asking me why. I told him I couldn't tell him yet. I still needed to talk to mom and I'm seeing a therapist (this is where I fucked up. I should have just said it was a hypothetical situation). He then flew off the handle on me...saying things like how I think his dad is so horrible and he wasn't a bad parents...that my childhood wasn't so bad that I need a therapist...that it could only be two things, abuse or touching, and he KNOWS those things didn't happen...etc. I told him that he doesn't know anything about what happened to me and he doesn't kno anything about my life and why I may need to talk to a therapist. After he got done yelling at me about how his dad did nothing to me, he then went on to say that he's tired of hearing all this shit about ME. He said, "I'm sorry, but parent your fucking kid. I know lots of people with three year old kids. They all talk and ride bikes. Jeffrey is fucking smart...there's nothing "special" about him." I started getting pissed after that and started yelling at him...he then hung up on me and refused to answer anymore of my calls...I left him a VM telling him that my kid has a learning disability and he's in therapy for speech (which they ALL know)...that when he wants to talk to me like an adult, he can call me back.

by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Therapy sounds like a good idea. ((hugs))

jballentine
by Joyce on May. 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM
That is horrible and I think you should talk to your mom. And really explain it to her like you have here. Feel free to pm me if you need or want to talk.
lcappytan05
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I don't know how though. Like I said, I feel sick every time I try to and then I feel guilty about it. I'm a very empathic person, so I don't like causing anyone (no matter who they are or what they did) pain. It's pathetic and I hate that about myself. Even though she needs to know, I would feel like shit if I was the cause of any animosity in her marriage...even though I know it wouldn't really be my fault.

Quoting jballentine:

That is horrible and I think you should talk to your mom. And really explain it to her like you have here. Feel free to pm me if you need or want to talk.

jballentine
by Joyce on May. 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM
It is tough and I feel the same way. Hope you find a way to find some peace from this. It is hard to hold things in like that.

Quoting lcappytan05:

I don't know how though. Like I said, I feel sick every time I try to and then I feel guilty about it. I'm a very empathic person, so I don't like causing anyone (no matter who they are or what they did) pain. It's pathetic and I hate that about myself. Even though she needs to know, I would feel like shit if I was the cause of any animosity in her marriage...even though I know it wouldn't really be my fault.

Quoting jballentine:

atm1979
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Write her a letter. Put everything down into words then read it to her or have her read it. I'm so sorry this happened to you.
Spanky03
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Maybe you can legally do somethig about it now since your old enough to speak up for yourself. He sounds like a monster and should be punished. Sorry this happened to you. No one deserves this. Maybe go on a talk show for help to tell your mother.
lcappytan05
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I'm NOT going on a talk show...

I did just make an appointment to see a therapist. She's actually the same one that DH and I have seen for couple's counseling. I like her, so at least I'm already familiar with her...and that should help a bit.

Quoting Spanky03:

Maybe you can legally do somethig about it now since your old enough to speak up for yourself. He sounds like a monster and should be punished. Sorry this happened to you. No one deserves this. Maybe go on a talk show for help to tell your mother.

Spanky03
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Can't blame you for not going on talk show. I hope you can get the help you need with counselor so you can speak to your mom. Good luck
lcappytan05
by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Bump
jmart18255
by Jessica on May. 7, 2013 at 6:24 PM

write her a letter and either read it to her or mail it to her without a return address in case your asshole stepfather gets it before she does. did he ever beat your mom or anything? i am asking because if he hit her too i might be more likely that she will believe you when you tell her all he's done to you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)