Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Old wives tales that your parents told you???

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:01 PM
  • 31 Replies

Something just hit me and made me remember what my mom use to say to me as a kid.

There is a thunder storm comming through right now and it made me remember about when I was a kid and my mother told that I was never alowed to take a bath or a shower when a storm was comming through because the lighting could hit me in the tub. Thinking back now that seems pretty far fetched. But I think that it was one of those old wives tells that get past down from generation to generation.

Has anyone else heard this from there parents or any others. Just curious.....

by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
My Nana wouldn't let anyone talk on the phone or take a bath during a storm

Couldn't wash your hair when your period was on , no hats on the bed
Left eye twitches someone you know will die dream of fish someone is pregnant, If your hand was itching you could expect to have money soon. Collard greens are eaten during new year's so you will have money in the new year
kaylasmom22
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
No bath/tv/ or phone when it storms.
Don't wash your hair on your period.
Don't go out for 40 days after giving birth.
Don't wash your hair if you have a cold.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM
2 moms liked this
She was right. The lightning can travel in the water pipes and you could be hurt. Also if the power went out mid shower a kid could get frightened if it was dark.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:25 PM
My grandmother flipped out if a bird flew into the house(someone was going to die), put a hat on a bed(bad luck), opened an umbrella in the house( bad luck)...spill salt, throw some over your shoulder.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Oh. And pregnant women should never watch read or see scary or disturbing things because the baby would be ugly or deformed.
DSamuels
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I grew up on the never take a bath during a thunderstorm too. I think I was told lightning is attracted to water.

Every pool I've ever been to make kids get out of an outdoor pool if they hear thunder, no matter how far away the storm is.

MomofKJI
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

The whole baby story that I was told is that you never take the baby out of the house until they have been baptized. My grandmother got so mad at my mom right after I was born because she went to a family get together and I wasn't baptized yet. From what I heard they didn't talk for like a week. LOL but I turned out fine.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

No bath/tv/ or phone when it storms.
Don't wash your hair on your period.
Don't go out for 40 days after giving birth.
Don't wash your hair if you have a cold.

MomofKJI
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I have never heard about not washing your hair on your period. Just curious but.....why not????

MomofKJI
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:41 PM

We always ate pork and saurkraut for new year and some of the old recipes would have you cook it with a silver dollar for extra good luck.

Quoting DACIA79:

My Nana wouldn't let anyone talk on the phone or take a bath during a storm

Couldn't wash your hair when your period was on , no hats on the bed
Left eye twitches someone you know will die dream of fish someone is pregnant, If your hand was itching you could expect to have money soon. Collard greens are eaten during new year's so you will have money in the new year

DACIA79
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting MomofKJI:

My Nana fixed greens black eye peas and corn bread for wealth and good luck

I hate black eye peas
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN