Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Help! idk what to do with my baby! *updated!*

Nursing has been a battle for the last 3 months. I feel defeated :( He is now refusing to nurse. Im thinking he wants the bottle instead.

I try to.pump and get very little.. like one ounce from both sides put together.

UPDATE: to make the situation more clear my baby has a minor lip tie. Its more work and he favors one boob after the other. Last night he was refusing both. I gave him a bottle of formula so he wouldn't starve and tried nursing again in the night. And he nursed...both sides! He still is this morning. I have been holding.him differently on the side he doesn't favor ...he was.still pretty fussy. This seemed to help a lot! I'm thinking he is teething!

by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Medela...however you.spell it

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Try to express by hand. That worked better for me than a pump. What pump do you have?

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Its not my nipple. My.entire breast is sore from.being engorged

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Yup. Pumps don't even come close to doing what a baby's mouth does. Also, for the soreness, get some lanolin. You can apply it right before and right after each nursing session.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

It is? It takes that long and that many nursing sessions to get a full bottle?

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

By the way, your pump output is great!

huneebadger
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I have been exclusively pumping for 6 months now due to a latching issue. When I first started it was every 3 hours and eventually I was able to pump a large amount. I had smaller amounts at the start and over time I would get up to 16 ounces and would have to freeze some of it. Do you have a good pump?

There is an exclusively pumping group as well as the breastfeeding group that is mentioned in a post below.

Good luck, I hope it goes better for you!

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Medela...I think.that's how.you spell it

Quoting huneebadger:

I have been exclusively pumping for 6 months now due to a latching issue. When I first started it was every 3 hours and eventually I was able to pump a large amount. I had smaller amounts at the start and over time I would get up to 16 ounces and would have to freeze some of it. Do you have a good pump?

There is an exclusively pumping group as well as the breastfeeding group that is mentioned in a post below.

Good luck, I hope it goes better for you!

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Hand expressing worked better for me.
Also going from breast to bottle can confuse them. The bottle is easier. They don't get milk as fast from the breast.
Keep trying to nurse. Offer the bottle less.
Join the bf group too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Which one? I had the Medela Harmony. It was a manual. It worked great for the few occasions I needed it. I think the main problem is the lip tie. If that doesn't gey clipped, it'll keep being painful. Also, he'll be able to get more milk out when it's clipped. If it hurts too bad to nurse, try a hot shower and massage and express a little out until you're comfortable. Not too much though because then that signals your body that you need to produce more which causes more engorgment.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Medela...however you.spell it

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Try to express by hand. That worked better for me than a pump. What pump do you have?

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Yup. Pumps don't even come close to doing what a baby's mouth does. Also, for the soreness, get some lanolin. You can apply it right before and right after each nursing session.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Big_Momma_X02
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I am sorry,I am no help I bottle fed both my Kids...

Good Luck!!

ruth85
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM
2 moms liked this

If you end up switching to the bottle, please dont beat yourself up for it.  It happens and it is ok.  You tried your best and he did have the benefit of the time that you did breastfeed.  If you need to switch over for whatever reason, I think the most important thing is to realize it doesnt mean you are a bad mom or less than or a failure.  You are not and it wont be the end of the world.  Hang in there. :)

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Thank you. Ugh I'm crying now. I think I just needed to hear that

Quoting ruth85:

If you end up switching to the bottle, please dont beat yourself up for it.  It happens and it is ok.  You tried your best and he did have the benefit of the time that you did breastfeed.  If you need to switch over for whatever reason, I think the most important thing is to realize it doesnt mean you are a bad mom or less than or a failure.  You are not and it wont be the end of the world.  Hang in there. :)

calsmom62
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM
I had good luck with a manual pump. The lanolin is a great idea, get some and use it. I don't know about lip Tie, ask the ped. . I also had good luck pumping first then nursing baby because my milk would squirt too fast otherwise and baby would get frustrated trying not to drown.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

KellyNips
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:47 AM

why oh why do women put such a signficance to breastfeeding??  if he doesn't want to nurse then simply stop trying and give him the bottle -- end of story.  this does not make you less of a woman.  i hate woman who think that way -- what about all those women who adopt babies and can't breastfeed?  are they any less of a woman?  so stop blaming your child and accept the fact that he is done nursing and want to move to a bottle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)