Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Help! idk what to do with my baby! *updated!*

Nursing has been a battle for the last 3 months. I feel defeated :( He is now refusing to nurse. Im thinking he wants the bottle instead.

I try to.pump and get very little.. like one ounce from both sides put together.

UPDATE: to make the situation more clear my baby has a minor lip tie. Its more work and he favors one boob after the other. Last night he was refusing both. I gave him a bottle of formula so he wouldn't starve and tried nursing again in the night. And he nursed...both sides! He still is this morning. I have been holding.him differently on the side he doesn't favor ...he was.still pretty fussy. This seemed to help a lot! I'm thinking he is teething!

by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Replies (21-30):
trainlady
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Get off the stress wagon. If he refuses to nurse give him the bottle.And he will probably will nurse sometimes and bottle feed sometimes. Just because some babies nurse at a certain time and day doesn't mean they all do. I only had one that wanted to nurse all the time. Don't let someone else's baby get something done. People are different, children are different, babies are different. As long as he is getting sufficient nutrition that's aqll you need to know about. its kind of like some people like chocolate and some like vanilla. Just take it a day at a time and enjoy that beautiful baby.

momdoes
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I didnt nurse my son, I bottle fed him. My SS was BF. I can tell you there is no difference in their physical appearance other than SS is overweight and my son is not. I do however believe in listening to what your body and your child together are trying to say and to me it seems to be to stop nursing. As a nurse, I say you tried, you gave him the most important part of nursing in the begining and there is no shame in stopping it now. Be proud of what did accomplish, accept it too. I admire any woman who at least tries to nurse, even if only a week!

TheMeanestMom
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:28 AM
If you want to keep nursing for the health benefits, convience, and well just because you want to there is a lot you can try and things will get easier! But that said, if you're done and he's done no reason to feel guilty. Formula has it's place! 3 months is a long time to stick with it without improvement! You are a great mama no matter what.
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Really? Well for one I was not blaming my baby. Breast feeding is important to me because its the best option IMO and I as a mother like to do whats best for my children. So I put them first and don't give up easily! Its only.been 3 months

I did give him a bottle last night so he wouldn't be hungry. But good thing I don't give up easily! He nursed all night and this morning. I found out laying him in a different way on my right side made all the difference. Something was bothering him with the way he was laying. Looks like he may be teething!

Sounds like you have issues!

And FYI you can't just stop BF cold turkey. I know I did that with my first and I will forever regret it. It effected both her and me. End of story

Quoting KellyNips:

why oh why do women put such a signficance to breastfeeding??  if he doesn't want to nurse then simply stop trying and give him the bottle -- end of story.  this does not make you less of a woman.  i hate woman who think that way -- what about all those women who adopt babies and can't breastfeed?  are they any less of a woman?  so stop blaming your child and accept the fact that he is done nursing and want to move to a bottle.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM
He was doing fine on the one side. Now it was both. But last night he did fine and this morning. I'm thinking he is teething!

Quoting TheMeanestMom:

If you want to keep nursing for the health benefits, convience, and well just because you want to there is a lot you can try and things will get easier! But that said, if you're done and he's done no reason to feel guilty. Formula has it's place! 3 months is a long time to stick with it without improvement! You are a great mama no matter what.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Bump
jjchick75
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Well first off 2-3 ounces is a full feed for a brestfed baby. That won't ever change. So 2 ounces is great for one scession(average is .5-2oz combined from both breast). If you'd like to get back on the breast, you can go over the breastfeeding board. There are many women who have been in your shoes who can help you. Good luck sweetie!

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM
I'm only getting about one ounce total...that's putting both breasts together :( plus he is 15 lbs already. He is 3 months old in 9 and sometimes 12 month clothing. He is a giant!

So far he is back to nursing. Hopefully we can stay that way! Thank you

Quoting jjchick75:

Well first off 2-3 ounces is a full feed for a brestfed baby. That won't ever change. So 2 ounces is great for one scession(average is .5-2oz combined from both breast). If you'd like to get back on the breast, you can go over the breastfeeding board. There are many women who have been in your shoes who can help you. Good luck sweetie!

jjchick75
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Well that's still more than I can pump lol. Some women have really good pump response, some have average, and some like me have none. I nursed twins who were 35lbs at a year old almost exclusively on breastmilk(they weren't into solids yet) and couldn't even pump a half an ounce from both breast. If he starts fighting the breast again don't give a bottle. You can use a SNS or syringe or even a cup but try to avoid the bottle. 

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

I'm only getting about one ounce total...that's putting both breasts together :( plus he is 15 lbs already. He is 3 months old in 9 and sometimes 12 month clothing. He is a giant!

So far he is back to nursing. Hopefully we can stay that way! Thank you

Quoting jjchick75:

tantrum814
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Oh honey that has to be so exasperating for both of you!!!! You have certainly given it your best, and he did receive the most important time for nursing. Sometimes it is just better to go to a different option. I was able to nurse my 3 but I have friends that tried with each child and just could not do it. It didn't make them bad moms it made them wonderful moms to make a decision that will benefit both mommy and baby!!!! Good Luck what ever your decision is!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)