Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

is it still a gift if i pay for it myself?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM
  • 9 Replies

soooo.. my hubby is in school and takes care of the kids while i work.  so for mothers day i dont expect anything. my husband says he feels bad getting me gifts cause technically im getting them for myself. i still would like them to get(give)  me something :/ what do you think?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM

If it is for a want, i see it as a gift still.   Maybe he could help the children make something homemade for you so it isnt money related but rather from the heart more so.   For fathers day and other holidays i use the money i get from my guy's check for his gifts.

evaleesmom
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:49 PM

yeah they let me sleep late on mothers day and we will go out for lunch but hes not "crafty" lol

Quoting frndlyfn:

If it is for a want, i see it as a gift still.   Maybe he could help the children make something homemade for you so it isnt money related but rather from the heart more so.   For fathers day and other holidays i use the money i get from my guy's check for his gifts.

Lionpaw
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:55 PM

um, are you married??

I see all the time women on here "I don't have access to DH's money" and people are like "its your money too" etc

So "you" might be earning a paycheck, but if dh is at home with the kids, its only fair its considered both your money if thats how you want it to be handled. So its not really you buying yourself a gift.

I mean, dh tells me all the time, its "our money". So if its our money, does this mean I bought myself something when he decides to get a little gift for me here and there?

evaleesmom
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM

yes we are married. i see what you mean. and i say that too.. hes the one that says he feels bad.  i guess the title of the post is a little misleading i just thought i would get more responses. lol

Quoting Lionpaw:

um, are you married??

I see all the time women on here "I don't have access to DH's money" and people are like "its your money too" etc

So "you" might be earning a paycheck, but if dh is at home with the kids, its only fair its considered both your money if thats how you want it to be handled. So its not really you buying yourself a gift.

I mean, dh tells me all the time, its "our money". So if its our money, does this mean I bought myself something when he decides to get a little gift for me here and there?

Lionpaw
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting evaleesmom:

yes we are married. i see what you mean. and i say that too.. hes the one that says he feels bad.  i guess the title of the post is a little misleading i just thought i would get more responses. lol

Quoting Lionpaw:

um, are you married??

Its a man pride thing. if he feels "guilty" then let him find some creative ways to make it up to you...

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 2:13 AM

i bought myself a set of books

Momofmenagerie
by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Geez! He ever heard of crafts made by the children? He sounds a little unimaginatative.
And for the record, yeah, a single income is an " our money" kind of thing within reason.
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on May. 8, 2013 at 4:05 AM

i give my daughter $20 to go out shopping with grandma to find me something...its more or less because i wanna see what she can find me that she thinks i would like...(she's 9 tho..lol)   i think if he goes out of his way to find you something special, thats ALL that matters...now if he just goes and gets something simple like flowers...then he put no thought into it..and thats no fun either!

Alaskanmom907
by on May. 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Give him hints of something you really want or things you like, because, you'd probly buy it for yourself anyway, but let him get all the credit lol when he sees you wearing it out and loving it!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)